chris shays (R-CT) endorses lieberman...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:29:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  chris shays (R-CT) endorses lieberman...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: chris shays (R-CT) endorses lieberman...  (Read 1817 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2006, 11:08:14 PM »

...but joe endorses shay's opponent.

discuss.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 11:09:49 PM »

Interesting...I strongly support both Shays and Lieberman, however.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 11:10:52 PM »

Interesting...I strongly support both Shays and Lieberman, however.

so do i.

but im still a little disappointed lieberman didnt return the favor.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 12:12:23 AM »

These endorsements make the most sense for the candidates.

Shays needs to appeal to Dems; Lieberman needs to appeal to Dems.  Both are more popular among Repubs than Dems, so this makes perfect sense.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 01:06:18 AM »

I suppose an argument could be made that it would have been the right thing to do, but Lieberman cannot be considered "safe" in his race, and the main group that he has trouble with is Democrats, really, so as Q said, these endorsements make sense.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 01:34:26 AM »

The CT Republican party is considering supporting Lieberman. They already did it in 1988. Time to get a real Democrat.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:09:48 AM »

Probably because Shays is one of the most endangered Republicans in the country. 

Its all about numbers...
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 02:30:55 PM »

If GOP Joe had endorsed Shays, it probably would have been the last straw for a lot of Dems.

I met Ned Lamont, his Dem primary challenger, last week, and I was extremely impressed.  He'll give it a good run, and would have a shot if Lieberman does stupid things like endorsing Repubs.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »

Perhaps Chris Shays has his eye on becoming a Republican Senator from Conneticut some day, and is trying to win the favor of Democrats without alientating Republicans, many of whom support Lieberman anyway.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »

The CT Republican party is considering supporting Lieberman. They already did it in 1988. Time to get a real Democrat.

Lieberman votes liberal where it matters - on economics

Dave
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 10:13:00 PM »

Probably because Shays is one of the most endangered Republicans in the country. 

Its all about numbers...

True, he has steadily lost ground, and if some heavily Republican areas hadn't been added to his district (in which I live) after the 2000 census, when CT lost a congressional seat, he probably would have been defeated in 2004.

He has little to lose in endorsing Lieberman, as I see it.  The Republicans are not going to put a credible challenger up against him, and many Republicans are supporting Lieberman anyway.

It's been said that there's only one political party in Connecticut -- the incumbents.  There's a lot of truth to it.  State level politics is just not that partisan here, in my observation.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »

Its all about numbers...

True, he has steadily lost ground, and if some heavily Republican areas hadn't been added to his district (in which I live) after the 2000 census, when CT lost a congressional seat, he probably would have been defeated in 2004.

What areas were added?  They obviously weren't heavily Republican on the national level, wherever they are, since your area voted Kerry, if I ercall correctly.  I don't know much about the congressional adjustments in Connecticut.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 10:20:34 PM »

Its all about numbers...

What areas were added?  They obviously weren't heavily Republican on the national level, wherever they are, since your area voted Kerry, if I ercall correctly.  I don't know much about the congressional adjustments in Connecticut.

Certain northern Fairfield County towns that voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 were added to Shays' district from the now-defunct former 5th district.  These towns are more heavily Republican, on average, than the rest of the district, since the district as a whole voted for Kerry, narrowly, IIRC.

This district epitomizes the old, but severely declining, brand of country club Republicanism, and Shays has to walk a tightrope to hold onto his seat.  We'll see what happens.  I really don't like his challenger, Diane Farrell.  She's a typical limousine liberal who was first selectman of a town full of obnoxious New York transplants.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 10:25:46 PM »

Its all about numbers...

Certain northern Fairfield County towns that voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004 were added to Shays' district from the now-defunct former 5th district.  These towns are more heavily Republican, on average, than the rest of the district, since the district as a whole voted for Kerry, narrowly, IIRC.

This district epitomizes the old, but severely declining, brand of country club Republicanism, and Shays has to walk a tightrope to hold onto his seat.  We'll see what happens.  I really don't like his challenger, Diane Farrell.  She's a typical limousine liberal who was first selectman of a town full of obnoxious New York transplants.

Ah...I see.  The area around Oxford and Prospect in New Haven County would be the heavily Republican addition, I'm assuming?  Bush hovered around 60% in those parts.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »

Its all about numbers...

Ah...I see.  The area around Oxford and Prospect in New Haven County would be the heavily Republican addition, I'm assuming?  Bush hovered around 60% in those parts.

Oxford is pretty strongly Republican, as I understand it, but I was actually thinking of towns like Ridgefield and Redding, which I believe were added to the 4th district after the 2000 census.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »

dazzleman, do you live in shay's district?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 10:22:11 PM »

dazzleman, do you live in shay's district?

yes
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 05:51:36 AM »

Its all about numbers...

Oxford is pretty strongly Republican, as I understand it, but I was actually thinking of towns like Ridgefield and Redding, which I believe were added to the 4th district after the 2000 census.

And Monroe (about 16,000 people, Republican bedroom community) and Shelton (about 35,000 people, slightly more Democrat methinks.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies