The South (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:59:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The South (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The South  (Read 24566 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 18, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »

Thank you Neinrein ("not pure" auf Deutsch?) for pointing out many of the fallacies and stereotypes that some of the Northern Democrats on this forum have regarding the South. There have been multiple threads particularly in the past few weeks that have engaged in excessive attacks on an entire region and thrown much of the baby out with the bathwater.

The South, like all other regions in America, is not perfect and has its shares of flaws. There are certainly deep racial wounds from the history of slavery and Jim Crow, but yet little of the "closet racism" you see in Northern states like Oregon that have historically had only a small African-American population. Poverty amongst both Whites and Blacks is significantly higher than the national average, and most state governments have historically been lax in providing funding to a broad range of social services that is seen in wealthier Northern states.

I freely admit that I have not lived in the South, nor have had family from the region, unlike the West, Midwest, and Northeast. I do not pretend to understand the subtleties of Southern culture, nor do I judge an entire region of the country because of a Civil War that happened 150 years ago. From my conversations with native friends from the region there is a wealth of cultural treasure and complexity that exists which is not easily understood by most Northerners.

Politically, I agree that voting patterns at the Presidential level, as well as associated religious extremist movements, have had a negative effect on national politics in many regards. I disagree with the notion that the Democratic Party has to move to the right on cultural issues to somehow "appease" cultural conservatives in either the North or South. The South of course by no means has a monopoly on the religious right, and there are many people of faith from both parties that have much to offer this country.

I thank your cousin for his service, and hope that fortunes bring him a safe and fast return. I lost a friend outside of Taji / Camp Cooke in '04, and even though conditions are improving I know that this is still a risky job in an unforgiving climate.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 04:48:03 AM »

I think we have to come up with a definition for Southern culture.
So what makes a state Southern?

People with a southern accent?
High percentage of african americans?
Whites and blacks with extremely different voting habits?
Large % of Christians?

What?

Excellent question unempprof... This is most likely the best question of the entire thread.

OK---- I suck at making maps, but how about this model for the "Ten distinct American Political Regions"Huh?

http://massinc.typepad.com/beyondredandblue/2007/09/beyond-red-blue.html

The advantage of using this model is that it essentially divides the South into four major regions that heavily overlap with socio-demographic models that help explain more than they stereotype. Although granted many of the recent South haters on this thread might find holes in the model.

OMG!!!! I forgot Obama lost in WV because of racist White Democrats!!!!!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies