Office of Senator Clarence (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:44:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Clarence (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Senator Clarence  (Read 4892 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:31 AM »

3. I think that transgendered males are still defined as males under the law, and so would be subject to restroom policies- the same would apply for females.

What set of people do you mean by 'transgendered males'? My opinion of the language usage and of the current law is unformed until this is cleared up.

To Senator Clarence, dressing as such-and-such (gender expression or performativity for people who are hip to the lingo) can certainly be argued to be choices, but the feelings and perceptions that underlie this aren't, so it's a matter of how one is to deal with where what isn't a choice becomes what, arguably, is. It's similar to the distinction between homosexual inclinations and homosexual actions that for example the Roman Catholic Church makes.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 03:55:31 PM »

3. I think that transgendered males are still defined as males under the law, and so would be subject to restroom policies- the same would apply for females.

What set of people do you mean by 'transgendered males'? My opinion of the language usage and of the current law is unformed until this is cleared up.

To Senator Clarence, dressing as such-and-such (gender expression or performativity for people who are hip to the lingo) can certainly be argued to be choices, but the feelings and perceptions that underlie this aren't, so it's a matter of how one is to deal with where what isn't a choice becomes what, arguably, is. It's similar to the distinction between homosexual inclinations and homosexual actions that for example the Roman Catholic Church makes.

Sorry for not making that clear- I was referring to men whose gender identities conform to those of females and presumed that men which are in that demographic are required to use men's restrooms and that this wouldn't be affected by the amendment.

I'd recommend using 'male-to-female transgendered people', which is considerably less confusing, in the future. (For the record, if that is the current state of the law, I oppose it, but I doubt this Senate will change it.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies