Approval poll: New Atlas moderators (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:06:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Approval poll: New Atlas moderators (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you approve of the newly chosen Atlas moderators?
PiT - Yes

PiT - No

Kalwejt - Yes

Kalwejt - No

Virginia - Yes

Virginia - No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Approval poll: New Atlas moderators  (Read 4817 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 06, 2017, 12:34:21 AM »

Democratic election of moderators, much like democratic election of judges, is a terrible idea. The judiciary needs to be independent of popularity contests and the whims of public opinion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »

Democratic election of moderators, much like democratic election of judges, is a terrible idea. The judiciary needs to be independent of popularity contests and the whims of public opinion.

-I support this in principle, but moderators serve an executive (and partially even a legislative) role here as well. Currently, the forum functions as an absolute monarchy. I would like to democratize it a bit.

Kalwejt made the point already, but this is how the site owner wishes it to function. You could petition Dave, but I do not expect success in that regard. The only other thing to do with that is to go to another board, as many did when AAD was created. I would also like to comment on this:

Secondly, my opposition to an excess of female mods on this forum is not a product of "mindless chauvinism", but simply of a desire of fair and equal representation of all demographics on this forum, and a desire to prevent the disproportionate supremacy of any one.

I prefer that the most qualified people get the positions, regardless of what their demographics may be. The idea that we should take these factors into account when selecting people and seek to ensure equal demographic representation is a position much more characteristic of liberals than it is of conservatives. You are certainly welcome to hold such views, but I found it notable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies