SHOCK poll: Eric Cantor (R) in primary trouble !? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:50:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SHOCK poll: Eric Cantor (R) in primary trouble !? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SHOCK poll: Eric Cantor (R) in primary trouble !?  (Read 10271 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« on: June 11, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »

If you are Paul Ryan, do you continue on current track to ways and means chair, or do you take this opportunity to become Speaker? (assuming Boehner isn't long for the job)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »

Ryan has already reiterated he's not interested in elected leadership. Either W&M or much less likely, a POTUS run.
Yes, but I have had the impression that when he said "I'm not interested in leadership" it was because he had a good relationship with Boehner AND Cantor (and no interrest in whip).  So, I think it's pretty reasonable to consider the possibility that things have changed. 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »

Yea, I found an article where he explains how he can spend 4 days in DC and 3 in Janesville in a policy position (ways and means), but a leadership position (speaker) requires you to spend weekends flying around the country politicking and fundraising.  He also explains how he accepted VP nomination because it would mean more time with his family than a policy position in the house.  Talk around here is he won't seek the position  -- only chance would be if the caucus "drafted" him.     
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »

I'm not sure why so many liberals and Democrats on the Forum are happy over this result. Yes, Cantor was a thorn in the side of any attempts at bipartisanship, even by Boehner, but whoever takes his role can be assured from this election result to be worse.

Any chance of even partial immigration reform has been pushed back at least several years.

On every other issue under the sun, any member of the GOP caucus even dreaming about a bipartisan move towards the sensible center will, more than ever, now fear of being "Cantored" by the far right. (And in a couple weeks, I fear, the Senate GOP caucus will live in terror of being "Cochraned").

Dems can't even be happy over a potential race for this district. Brat may be pretty extreme, but it's a +10 R district. The GOP is going to keep this hands down. At worst we MIGHT have to put a BIT of $ in to ensure a win, and probably only if Brat pulls some Akin-like comments.
Democrats don't want immigration reform (unless it's immediate full citizenship for every illegal immigrant)
Republicans want immigration reform.
Democrats can be happy because now Republicans are unlikely to force them to vote against reform again and they can keep the issue benefiting them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies