What is your favorite Bible translation and why? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 10:18:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What is your favorite Bible translation and why? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is your favorite Bible translation and why?  (Read 585 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« on: January 02, 2021, 08:06:20 PM »

I guess the King James Version because I love old English, even though it is a bit hard to follow.

This
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 05:09:04 AM »

I guess the King James Version because I love old English

Not to nitpick, but the KJV is not written in Old English.  Old English would not be intelligible to any present-day English speakers.  The coolest (secular) aspect of the KJV is how its publication in 1611 was actually a major catalyst in standardizing modern English spelling and grammar.  

Ofc, Old English was spoken before the Norman Conquest; it's our equivalent of Latin basically.

It's true that the KJV standardized Early Modern English to a large degree; but he meant old simply in the sense archaic, and I do agree. I think the English of 400 years ago had something to it.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:38:15 AM »

I guess the King James Version because I love old English

Not to nitpick, but the KJV is not written in Old English.  Old English would not be intelligible to any present-day English speakers.  The coolest (secular) aspect of the KJV is how its publication in 1611 was actually a major catalyst in standardizing modern English spelling and grammar.  

I am well aware of that, which is why I wrote "old" with a small O, to signal I was using the common qualifying meaning of the word. I maybe should have used "ancient" or "archaic" to clarify. I obviously couldn't read Old English (capital O) in any way whatsoever.

Thank you @Lechasseur for recognizing what I was signifying.

Same, but it's an incredibly cool ancient language nevertheless. I prefer it to Latin myself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies