1860 Presidential Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:32:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1860 Presidential Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you have voted for?
Abraham Lincoln (Republican)

Stephen Douglas (Democratic)

John Breckinridge (Southern Democrat)

John Bell (Constitutional Union)

Write-in

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: 1860 Presidential Election  (Read 2075 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
« edited: August 30, 2014, 09:27:26 AM by Mechaman »

Lincoln then, Lincoln now.

I must say that I find it incredible that out of the many libertarian critiques of Lincoln's handling of the Civil War I've seen on here almost none of them mention the extremely classist draft that was implemented.  To my mind that seems about the only real moral failing of the Union North, though the Confederate South obviously did the same thing with a lot more horrendous side flavors to choose from.  Rather, we hear about "those poor northern newspaper owners!" and how the protectionist trade policy of the North was "just too mean for producers man!"

Says a lot about what they think about class.

EDIT: I predict that SPC is probably going to have a post up about how protectionism is evil.  Yes I agree, it's incredibly evil and was used more oft than not to impoverish the working class for the gains of the robber barons who robbed them.  However, that is besides the point in regards to the Civil War.  Hell, I would argue that the Slave Economy was by it's nature a protectionist economy, given that it effectively kept millions of poor farmers in extreme poverty by it's advantage of free farm/crop labor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies