Hillary breaks 50% in Orange County, California (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:48:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary breaks 50% in Orange County, California (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary breaks 50% in Orange County, California  (Read 4725 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 16, 2016, 05:45:05 PM »

It will be interesting to look at the precinct results once they are published to see where the major swings happened in OC....

Was it the result of a huge shift in Vietnamese (and other Asian-Americans) swinging hard towards the Democrats? Was it the result of a voting surge and swing among Latino-Americans? Was it the wealthy Anglos living up in the hillsides and beach condos that typically voted Republican rejecting the Trumpist brand of Republicanism?

Or was it all of the above?

Regardless, of some of the sniping going on in this thread, I am actually interested in the changing political coalitions in the sixth largest county in the US, regardless of if they happen in traditionally Republican or Democratic counties....

There are plenty of other threads to squabble about the outcome of the election in, but since this one happens to be about OC swinging hard to the Democrats....

For example, it appears that despite the Senate election only had two Democrats on the ballot, there wasn't the type of dramatic drop-off in votes between the Presidential and Senate elections that one might expect in a traditionally Republican County.

Anyways, still looking forward to seeing precinct level results from OC once this is over so that we can understand what happened in OC that caused such a dramatic shift, in essentially the only remaining large Republican population center in Cali....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 06:30:59 PM »

It will be interesting to look at the precinct results once they are published to see where the major swings happened in OC....

Was it the result of a huge shift in Vietnamese (and other Asian-Americans) swinging hard towards the Democrats? Was it the result of a voting surge and swing among Latino-Americans? Was it the wealthy Anglos living up in the hillsides and beach condos that typically voted Republican rejecting the Trumpist brand of Republicanism?

Or was it all of the above?

Regardless, of some of the sniping going on in this thread, I am actually interested in the changing political coalitions in the sixth largest county in the US, regardless of if they happen in traditionally Republican or Democratic counties....

There are plenty of other threads to squabble about the outcome of the election in, but since this one happens to be about OC swinging hard to the Democrats....

For example, it appears that despite the Senate election only had two Democrats on the ballot, there wasn't the type of dramatic drop-off in votes between the Presidential and Senate elections that one might expect in a traditionally Republican County.

Anyways, still looking forward to seeing precinct level results from OC once this is over so that we can understand what happened in OC that caused such a dramatic shift, in essentially the only remaining large Republican population center in Cali....

You can see the precinct results mapped here. It looks like Trump fell hardest in the Cypress/La Palma/Buena Park/west Anaheim area. Parts of Garden Grove and Irvine also swung hard to Clinton. I would guess therefore that it was the Asian areas that were most responsible for the swing with some increased Hispanic turnout for good measure.

Thanks RI for sharing---- you're one of the best on the hard data of this type. Smiley

So it looks like the myth of wealthy and retired Republican Anglos in OC swinging hard towards the Democrats did not happen, at least looking at the map and seeing the solid sea of Trump purple in the wealthy Beach communities of OC, as well as the SE hills/canyons of OC.

It will be interesting to see what the final results are once the provisional ballots are counted, since I've noticed that Clinton's % margin has actually been increasing since ED, whereas in some heavily Dem counties in NorCal it has slightly contracted as the VbMs are being processed.

Any bets on final margins from OC.... will it end up C+6 or C+7 once all of the votes are counted?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »

So back to OC election results instead of the total OT items on the thread....

I am surprised to see Cypress swing so heavily Democratic.....

It doesn't have an especially large Latino population by SoCal standards, although it is 31% Asian-American....

Insert Anecdotal Personal Story

When I went down to visit my Dad back in the early 2000s, I went to his Church in Cypress with him for a Sunday service at a medium-sized multi-ethnic but evangelical church, attended some of the "Christian 12 step recovery" meetings that he would run. The church was partnered with other churches in the community, so I spent Thanksgiving Day in South Central LA serving meals to the parishioners, eating an awesome meal of smoked Turkey from "Big Dave's" customized Turkey roasting mobile trailer.

It fell on a Sunday, so many of the members of the community church were wearing suits and their best dresses and hats, and being LA in late November the weather was warm and no rain. Although smoking was prohibited on the property, the Minister showed me the way to a small outdoor back patio area, with barbed wire covering the top of the adobe style fence....

I walked through a small room past the room where Sunday services were held, and there were huge piles of Christmas presents already wrapped and donated for the poorer members, of an already impoverished community.

So back to the primary topic.... even in many heavily Republican areas in OC, there are a significant number of Anglos that are deeply embedded in their local communities, and although some of my family members on that side likely voted reluctantly for Trump, at this point they are praying for America as well.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 08:54:06 PM »

Why are all these Republican Trump trolls hijacking the OC thread, instead of discussing issues like the PV/EV, WWC voters in the MidWest, etc, etc, etc....

Mods: Not saying you need to ban all these folks, but the thread has become so OT, where we can't even have a discussion about changing voting patterns in OC without it being hijacked by a mixture of trolls, and people squabbling about the GE results, that it is effectively a meaningless crap thread.

Posters: If you don't have anything to say about OC in particular, please move on down the road. Plenty of other threads that are more appropriate to have discussions and bitch fests about the election results and gloating.... Really people?Huh
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 03:39:30 AM »

So according to the latest OC update Clinton is now up 7.7% in the County!!!

Needless to say, I would not be surprised to see these margins creep up further as provisional ballots start to be counted....

Regardless of all of the partisan squabbling on the thread, OC appears to have not only flipped Democratic, but flipped Hard-Dem....
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies