If elected, Romney might be richest US president in over 200 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:41:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If elected, Romney might be richest US president in over 200 years
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If elected, Romney might be richest US president in over 200 years  (Read 3998 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2011, 06:04:54 PM »

I just thought of this after posting in the fundraising thread.  Here's a list of the wealthiest US presidents ("which the authors admit is predicated on some big assumptions and gaps in the record "), if you inflation-adjust their fortunes to 2010 dollars:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/24/net-worth-of-u-s-presidents/#

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But as it says, one probably shouldn't count JFK as #1, since he never had a chance to inherit that $1 billion fortune.  So let's say the real top two are Washington at $525 million and Jefferson at $212 million.

Romney's fortune is somewhere between $190 and $250 million:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44125985/ns/politics-decision_2012/t/romneys-wealth-high-million/#.TpoQec0vrVV

So he'd potentially be the richest president since at least Jefferson, if not Washington.

I'm not posting this to suggest it's a good or bad thing.  Just thought it was interesting.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »

Of course, ex-Presidents like the Bushes and Clinton are incredibly wealthy nowadays.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:43:31 AM »

Again see my sig
SufferedMore ThanJesus
sofaken30
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:10:08 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting more and more excited about voting for Mitt Romney next year. I cannot wait! He is so handsome and rich (and I'm totally not gay, because that's a sin), Mitt is like the Knight in shining armor coming to rescue the princess in one of those medival fairy tale stories, and the princess in this case is America! GO MITT GO!! RESUE US, THE PRINCESS!!
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:53:38 AM »

we will see how that flys in the general . i remember in 2008 mccain was attacked about how many homes him and his wife owned

Yeah, you can bet that the Obama camp will carry the baton from the Perry campaign: paint Romney as an out of touch, rich, corporate asshole who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Most of it that is true, so it shouldn't be too hard of a sale.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:18:37 AM »

I smell the ugly scent of class warfare in this thread. Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 08:46:04 AM »

Washington's and Jefferson's assets were largely land and slaves. Hard to compare to today.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 08:54:16 AM »

Heh, everybody knows that Andrew Jackson's populist rhetoric was just a ploy to maintain power for the Democratic Party and prevent debate over slavery.

As for Romney's wealth, it shouldn't really be an issue. It just shows that his family did something productive and earned wealth in return.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »

I don't really care if Romney will be the richest president, it's not an issue.. If anything it should serve as an example how success in America and what people can strive for.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 09:07:46 AM »

I think after JFK, it is not an issue (and really shouldn't be).
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 09:17:45 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2011, 01:13:13 PM by Averroës Nix »

Of course, ex-Presidents like the Bushes and Clinton are incredibly wealthy nowadays.

If you look at the list that the Times article links to, you can see that the book-touring, public-speaking set is an order of magnitude less wealthy than Romney.
Link
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »

I think after JFK, it is not an issue (and really shouldn't be).

In the case of some candidates I beg to differ.

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 09:42:10 AM »

Then there's really no chance of him not winning the nomination.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »

Then there's really no chance of him not winning the nomination.

...unless this thing goes into a brokered convention, which might happen because a large portion of the Republican base isn't sold on Romney but all the alternatives are severely flawed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »

Would it be somehow possible to measure the poorest President ever?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2011, 01:11:16 PM by Averroës Nix »

Would it be somehow possible to measure the poorest President ever?

Excluding those who went bankrupt (e.g. Grant), Truman is the poorest whom I can think of.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »

They must not be adjusting for the inflation caused in large part by the one who grew up on a 1300-acre estate and had all his political campaigns entirely financed by J.P. Morgan.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

Jimmy Carter wasn't poor by any means, but he was probably the poorest president in recent times.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »

Jimmy Carter wasn't poor by any means, but he was probably the poorest president in recent times.

Nixon and Clinton were less well-off, and came from less privileged families, than Carter. Reagan also came from a poor family, unlike Carter, but was obviously wealthy many years prior to his three runs for president.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »

Poorest in recent memory would be Harry Truman. He told McCormack in the mid-'50s that were it not for some land and a small inheritance from his mother, he would "practically be on relief." When they created the presidential pension, Hoover accepted it as a token so his friend HST wouldn't be embarrassed.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »

Nixon and Clinton were less well-off, and came from less privileged families, than Carter. Reagan also came from a poor family, unlike Carter, but was obviously wealthy many years prior to his three runs for president.

Both Nixon and Clinton were pretty well-off lawyers by the time they became President.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2011, 06:36:46 PM by Politico »

Both Nixon and Clinton were pretty well-off lawyers by the time they became President.

I never said they were not well-off. I said they were less well-off than Carter, who was better off than them via the family business he inherited (i.e., 360-acre peanut farm). Carter unarguably has a more privileged background than Nixon and Clinton. Why he would even be in the conversation of poorest presidents is beyond me...
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2011, 11:50:14 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

I never said they were not well-off. I said they were less well-off than Carter, who was better off than them via the family business he inherited (i.e., 360-acre peanut farm). Carter unarguably has a more privileged background than Nixon and Clinton. Why he would even be in the conversation of poorest presidents is beyond me...

Nixon, Clinton, LBJ, Reagan, and Obama all came from humbler beginnings than Carter, but also had more assets at the time they assumed the presidency. Ford had been a congressman for twenty-five years prior to his appointment to the vice presidency, and was at very least upper middle class. The Bushes were an old money family, and JFK was the scion of a political dynasty.

Poorest in recent memory would be Harry Truman. He told McCormack in the mid-'50s that were it not for some land and a small inheritance from his mother, he would "practically be on relief." When they created the presidential pension, Hoover accepted it as a token so his friend HST wouldn't be embarrassed.

wow, crazy to think that Hoover was the only living former president for almost 20 years.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2011, 08:30:19 PM by Likely Voter »

Romney's liability isn't how rich he is but how he got rich. Expect Team Obama to paint Romney as part of the Wall Street excess that triggered the financial crisis and recession. That and trot out all the people that got laid off/outsourced at companies Bain Capital took over.

They are going to try to paint Romney as this...

with a bit of this...

NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

Romney's liability isn't how rich he is but how he got rich. Expect Team Obama to paint Romney as part of the Wall Street excess that triggered the financial crisis and recession. That and trot out all the people that got laid off/outsourced at companies Bain Capital took over.

They are going to try to pain Romney as this...

with a bit of this...

Winner
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies