Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:04:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Man Accidentally Killed by Police Choke Hold in Staten Island  (Read 8617 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 25, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »

The guy shouldn't have lost his life, but he bares more than a little responsibility for resisting arrest. He's a 400 lb man who died of a heart attack while physically resisting arrest. Again, not entirely unforeseeable.

Once the media aspect of the case is withdrawn, to me the issues are simply:

a) Did the police's use of force violate protocol, and if so to what degree? Again, the fact the police used physical force on a huge guy who was resisting arrest, and the obese guy died of a resulting heart attack is by NO means dispositive of the issue.

b) If yes, what impact, if any, did the deviation from procedure impact/cause the man's demise?

When cops are going to arrest someone who decides they don't want to go to jail that day, there HAS to be permissible options beyond simply repeating "pretty please with sugar on top?".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »

I sympathize with the man who died in custody. Police brutality is not something we can casually gloss over, but I'm not sure how we can make the police responsible for preserving the life of a man who was effectively committing suicide via gluttony.

If the suspect lacks the instinct of self-preservation, it seems a bit absurd to make law enforcement responsible for keeping him alive.

Your "sympathy" is underwhelming, even appalling.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.

Sig material.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »

These barbaric monsters should immediately be fired from the police and charged with murder.

>implying that pigs are ever held accountable

> X 1000 A-holes who call cops "pigs".

> X 1,000,000 The same coming from white college-age Marxists "fighting the power".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 02:25:46 PM »

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.

Oh what the hell. Against my better judgment, explain yourself.

Seriously, as usual no one has a clue what you're trying to say.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:28:32 PM »

Oh what the hell. Against my better judgment, explain yourself.

Seriously, as usual no one has a clue what you're trying to say.

Nothing. I'm just accusing you of paying lip-service to the politically-correct cause to bolster your own image. Standard ad hominem internet rebuttal, like accusing people of being uncouth or stone-hearted.

Did you even read my post just a couple above yours? Or did you fail to perceive it in your characteristic monomania?

Dude, I actualy generally AGREE with you that the guy may've to a significant degree brought this on himself and his obesity may've contributed to his death. But the difference is I have enough empathy to realize the guy had a family who mouns his loss, and his weight isn'tt grounds to think "ah, the fat slob was on borrowed time anyway".

I'm not out to win any popularity contests here, sport., but I'm more than willing to call you out on brazen sociopathy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »

a) Did the police's use of force violate protocol, and if so to what degree? Again, the fact the police used physical force on a huge guy who was resisting arrest, and the obese guy died of a resulting heart attack is by NO means dispositive of the issue.

b) If yes, what impact, if any, did the deviation from procedure impact/cause the man's demise?

Uh as the OP states using chokeholds is a violation of NYPD policy.

What exactly, per NYPD protocol, is a "chokehold", and was it used in this case.

The man was talking--having just gone through a two week choking murder trial several weeks ago you CAN'T talk much if you're being choked. He could. Yes, he was saying "I can't breathe", but people having heart attacks frequently feel constricted breathing. The first SOP for determining whether someone is choking vs. having a heart attack is to ask if they can speak.

If he could talk, that indicates there may not have been a "chokehold" used.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »

Previous arrest is not evidence though. You can't just arrest somebody for something you have zero evidence for just because they were previously arrested for doing that thing. He has every right to resist. Plus, if you watch the video, Garner's "resistance" basically amounts to him waving his arms around before the guy grabs him from behind and puts him on the ground. Obviously this technically led to his death because it has a link in the chain of events that ended with him dying...but you could say the same thing about him leaving his house in the morning or getting out of bed. The point is that he was in no way at fault for his death.

Yes, the video didn't show him illegally selling cigarettes, so there was OBVIOUSLY no proof WHATSOEVER it happened. Roll Eyes Dude, we're getting the tail end of the police investigation/observations. They only need probable cause for an arrest.

More to the point, if you're innocent, you don't fight the cops on the street, you fight them in the courtroom.

The man refused to be arrested, leaving the cops with the choice of: a) physically arresting him after having tried EXTENSIVELY to verbally get him to comply; or b) say sorry we bothered you and walk away (i.e. not do their jobs).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies