LA judge upholds state SSM ban (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:01:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  LA judge upholds state SSM ban (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LA judge upholds state SSM ban  (Read 7567 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: September 13, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »

No, but I will say that going in to change a culture without taking the time to understand it has always worked out splendidly.

You: I'm not sure you should be allowed to get married.
Me: Why?
You: Someone else thinks you shouldn't.
Me:  Why is that?
You:  A reason, it might be a good reason.  Also, they're from a long time ago so they're automatically right.
Me:  Ok...
You:  Stop expecting people to have reasons for things!  It's mean!
Me: ...
You:  Maybe I'm right, sometimes there's a new thing and it's not a good thing.
Me: ...

"muh tradition"

There's a reason the courts continually throw out these bans time after time. There's simply no logical reason for or societal interest in banning gay marriage. Writing long winded posts about how those who oppose gay marriage are the TRUE victims and how muh tradition should inform our current views is stupid. Yes, gay marriage was banned for 99% of recorded human history. Women were also considered property for 98% of recorded human history. Indeed shua, surely our ancestors had a grand overarching purpose (NOT based on ignorance and bigotry, 4realz) for making women property, and if not adopt that view, we should certainly respect it.

The reason why courts, in the last couple of years in particular, have started throwing out bans on gay marriage is simply because its not the done thing, socially speaking, to uphold them anymore. Had someone brought a challenge to court demanding the legalisation of gay marriage in 1984 or 1994, they would have been laughed out of the building. Now, the majority of the population (and, crucially, the people the help mould the opinions of the majority of the population), have shifted from the position of 'meh, keep it illegal, its pretty strange', to that of 'meh, feck it, let them marry'. The arguments have not changed one iota (although the pro-gay marriage advocates have put a considerably more emotional slant on their arguments in recent years it seems); the opinions of the majority have, and the courts are now reflecting those changes. So, no, there's no 'logic hole', in the anti-gay marriage arguments, those arguments are simply unfashionable nowadays.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies