Two car bombs found in London (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:00:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Two car bombs found in London (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two car bombs found in London  (Read 8633 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« on: June 30, 2007, 08:53:55 AM »

The bomb may have been intended for several events; simply for maximum damage in a nightlife spot or for London's Gay Pride march. Much of the thanks should go to ordinary people going about their business who spotted the suspicious vehicles.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:01:04 AM »

Extra police presence at Glasgow Prestwick, terminus stations in the city and on the Subway. Appears to be a botched job (again) and is probably linked to the London plot.

I hope if it is a botched terror attack, then the culprits aren't local.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »

Is it known whether anyone (apart from the people in the car) was hurt in the Glasgow airport thing? It seems a really strange thing to do as a terrorist attack, especially since the car didn't seem to have explosives in it.

If it was it was botched. What may have happened is that the device didn't quite do what it was supposed to. There may not have been a device at all; it also seems like it was a rather crude petrol bomb.

It would be interesting to know why Glasgow was a target.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 11:58:51 AM »

Is it known whether anyone (apart from the people in the car) was hurt in the Glasgow airport thing? It seems a really strange thing to do as a terrorist attack, especially since the car didn't seem to have explosives in it.

If it was it was botched. What may have happened is that the device didn't quite do what it was supposed to. There may not have been a device at all; it also seems like it was a rather crude petrol bomb.

The same reason why New York and Washington and London are all targets. The terrorists are in a holy war with any people or country that doesn't live their religion and way of life. They don't care where it is in the world. They have attacked the U.S., the U.K., Tarzania, Saudia Arabia, Iraq, and they are locked in a war against us.

Actually, my question was more in depth than that stock answer. Scotland was, for political reasons never an IRA target during it's campaign. As a result our police are not as expereinced in anti-terror measures as their English counterparts. Secondly, Glasgow is not a strongly Muslim city, and it's Muslim population is generally more middle class than in other cities which is just an observation; this has has no bearing on the attack (and the ethnicity is also more mixed; a large % of Kosovans for example)

To target Glasgow Airport (the explosion took place outside near the drop off area of the terminus), as opposed to the city is interesting.

However the schools in Scotland broke up on Friday, so today would have been busier than normal with many families heading on holiday. That fact is probably overlooked by many in the media.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 12:08:57 PM »

The only thing I can think of is those death threats to Mohammed Sarwar.

I hadn't thought of that. He received threats for successfully trying to track down the racist killers of Kriss Donald. If the culprits are from Pollockshields I will probably feel pretty horrible.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 12:36:23 PM »

I get the impression that if there was an explosion on the Moon the US would tighten airport security Smiley Most of it is unnecessary.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »

Security level raised to critical, meaning an attack is imminent, not sure if it means another is coming, or if this one has sparked the move.

Scary stuff, still wondering myself why Glasgow was the pick, looks like it could be a distraction for another attack in Scotland?

I think the worry is that there could be a more serious attack anywhere in the UK. If it happens, it will likely be around an area where people 'enjoy' themselves. The London devices were close to a nightclub, in an area of nightlife and on the route of todays' Pride parade. At Glasgow, it was the first Saturday after the schools broke up for summer and the airport was packed with those going on holiday.

If Glasgow is the target, then fair enough. It's not going to stop me going in to the city tomorrow.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »

Latest:

Device found at hospital where the injured assailant is being treated.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies