Is the Jig Just About Up? Are both the Forum Dems and Pubbies Unrepresentative? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:46:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the Jig Just About Up? Are both the Forum Dems and Pubbies Unrepresentative? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the Jig Just About Up? Are both the Forum Dems and Pubbies Unrepresentative?  (Read 1303 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: November 18, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »

The jig being up, in that the Feds and California are having trouble borrowing, and interest rates are ratcheting up, and ratings down (e.g. SF and Philly bond ratings downgraded, Hamtramack BK).

Meanwhile, it is my impression that on this Forum, the Pubbies are reasonably happy with the deficit commission's work so far, while the Dems disdain it. That apparently is precisely the opposite of what the Dem and Pubbie partisans think out there on the Fruited Plain. The Dems are generally supportive (although everyone seems to dislike taking hits for themselves), while the Pubbies hate it. Why? Because the Pubbies hate any tax increases. So apparently while the Dems are willing if need be to do to the entitlement state what the allies did to Dresden in WW II, while what the Pubbies want to do to the entitlement state is what Rome did to Carthage - not only destroy the place, but then make it into a toxic waste dump (Rome poured salt over the city's former footprint, making it into a lifeless salt flat), so that no life will ever emerge there again. At least Dresden had some buildings left standing, and it was possible for life to resume there in due course.

I see voters in general being very unhappy for a very long time. Laissez les bon temps roulez is just so yesterday. Policy proposals to slash your benefits and raise your taxes are a party pooper. But they are going to have to get used to it, and suck it up.

I have repeatedly posted my opposition to the tentative commission proposal (guess you missed those, or misunderstood them).

Truth is that the pseudocuts are actually merely cuts in the rate of increase for social programs whereas the tax increases are real.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2010, 05:43:58 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

I've seen much more vitriol directed at the deficit plan from Democrats (raising the retirement age 2 years for people born in 2006 and later is "completely unacceptable") than from Republicans, who tend to make comments along the lines that the plan is "interesting" or "provocative."

If there is any greater level of Democratic support, it's because they boxed themselves in by saying over and over throughout the entire campaign that deficit reduction plans would have to wait until the commission report.

Actually, Reid previously made a sort of pledge to bring the recommendations of the commission to a vote before the Senate.

http://democrats.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=322454&
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »

"Interesting times" as in the Chinese insult, "may you live in interesting times."  I assume that phrase is part of your repertoire, no?  Smiley

Here's a cite for him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_you_live_in_interesting_times
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies