Bush signs Republican law banning Internet gambling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:50:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush signs Republican law banning Internet gambling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush signs Republican law banning Internet gambling  (Read 2084 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: October 13, 2006, 10:35:02 PM »

I'm sure dazzleman will find a way to blame "nanny state liberals" for this, even though DailyKos is 90% against it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/10/13/213824/44
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 12:47:51 AM »

After all, banning Internet gambling is an important part of keeping our ports safe.

Exactly.  We need legislative reform which brings these kind of riders to a halt once and for all.

If Bush had cared, he could have issued another one of his unconstitutional signing statements. Instead he happily signed the bill.

The amendment passed the House 317-93, with almost all of the opposition coming from liberal Democrats, including the most liberal 10.

http://www.progressivepunch.org/members.jsp?member=HI1&search=selectScore&chamber=House&zip=&x=60&y=14
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2006/roll363.xml

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 01:05:16 PM »

The amendment passed the House 317-93, with almost all of the opposition coming from liberal Democrats, including the most liberal 10.

Of course, the opposition representing less than half of the democrats who voted for the bill as well.

True, but liberal Democrats voted soldly against it. The top 10 most liberal Representatives (according to Progressive Punch) all voted no.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »

On the other hand, there's a lot of chance in the stock market.....
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 05:01:14 PM »

The worst law to come out of congress in a long time, as well as the first federal law that's really affected me. Online poker is my primary source of income, and the money transfer site I currently use (firepay) has already been shut down.  The main sites I play at are no longer allowing US wagers, and the main money transfer site  (Neteller) that other players use isn't accessible to me, since I'm still technically a resident of Maryland.

Terrible law: Yes
Worst in a long time: Not even the worst law in the last month, that's the detainee law.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies