College Football 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:51:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: College Football 2016  (Read 9498 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« on: August 12, 2016, 11:31:49 PM »

As a Cal fan, this is the perennial "we will finally make it back to the Rose Bowl!" year.

Hey if Iowa can it's possible.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 03:38:01 AM »

App State deserved to win that game. That fumble recovery touchdown was incredibly good luck.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 08:02:22 PM »

The SEC is falling!!!!1111!!!!!!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 12:04:08 AM »

The Louisville-Clemson-FSU ACC race is going to be fun. Too bad the Pac looks like crap. Sad (Although it does give me hope for my Bears -- no one expects us to do anything this year anyway so why not? They didn't expect 9-3 Wazzu either).
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »

This week sucked.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »

Ouch.

I'd be (relatively) fine if this happened against Clemson, but Petrino is a scumbag and deserves no good things. Houston/Louisville will now be good enough to get a victorious Houston in the playoff 100%.

Dabo and Watson will still drag Clemson into the playoff. They look like they just needed a recalibration to get back to their old form.

This is going to be one of those years where the top 10 moves around but we end up with the expected #1 and #2 in the championship.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »

How is USC not already eliminated? I mean conceivably they could meet with Stanford and beat them in the Pac-12 championship game, but why would the committee take on a two-loss USC team over a one-loss Big 12 or Houston (or even a one loss Clemson/Louisville/Florida St.)?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:41 AM »

How is USC not already eliminated? I mean conceivably they could meet with Stanford and beat them in the Pac-12 championship game, but why would the committee take on a two-loss USC team over a one-loss Big 12 or Houston (or even a one loss Clemson/Louisville/Florida St.)?

I mean, Houston could easily have 2 losses themselves and who knows what the Big 12 champion will have. A loss to the SEC Champion (#1) and a split with the runner-up of their own conference, and I mean...I'm just very cautious when eliminating. Unlike ESPN who wants to add teams back later on after elimination. It's called that for a reason. 0% means zilch.

I understand that logic but I guess I'm not seeing a situation where any team gets in with more than one loss unless it's a conference champion, and even then, it would require the conference runner-ups to be worst than two losses. For example, if Clemson takes out Florida State, and Louisville and Clemson duel evenly (which seems very likely if Lamar Jackson continues to show he's the real deal) then I'm not going to take a two-loss conference champion over one of those two teams, especially if Ole Miss ends up coming in second in the SEC West.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 09:44:40 PM »

Utah and SC both look like crap.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »

Over/under on Orgeron straightening out LSU, beating Bama, and still not getting hired for the HC job?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »

Over/under on Orgeron straightening out LSU, beating Bama, and still not getting hired for the HC job?

Lol! I'll never forget how despicable USC was for not retaining him, and I hope they continue paying the price for it. The difference here is that he is the hometown kid this time around, so I really hope the attachment takes hold. He's more than earned it over his career.

Extremely sad to see Les go though. Should've taken the Michigan job when he had the chance. I definitely prefer him to Harbaugh.

I just found out that one of LSU's football news sites found out that LSU's AD reached out to Art Briles.

Dear God why. Why would anyone want that man near a college football program again.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 02:09:19 AM »

So the Pac-12 makes absolutely no sense right now...which I guess was expected. The only things I'm sure of are

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

Nothing else makes sense to me anymore. Nothing.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 04:53:23 AM »

So the Pac-12 makes absolutely no sense right now...which I guess was expected. The only two things I'm sure of are

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

What the heck happened to Oregon , was Mariota even better then we thought

That's the only thing that actually makes sense at this point -- losing Allioti has been a tailspin for the Oregon defense since 2013. But ASU just took down UCLA and possibly Josh Rosen. WSU just smashed Stanford without remorse. OSU, which lost by 30 points last week, somehow outscored Cal, who took down Utah last week on a defensive stop.

Only Washington has no losses in this conference and it can still easily lose any of its remaining games.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 01:54:46 AM »

So the Pac-12 makes absolutely no sense right now...which I guess was expected. The only two things I'm sure of are

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

That's the only thing that actually makes sense at this point -- losing Allioti has been a tailspin for the Oregon defense since 2013. But ASU just took down UCLA and possibly Josh Rosen. WSU just smashed Stanford without remorse. OSU, which lost by 30 points last week, somehow outscored Cal, who took down Utah last week on a defensive stop.

Only Washington has no losses in this conference and it can still easily lose any of its remaining games.

In 2014 Don Pellum did a good job

In 2014 Marcus Mariota destroyed everyone he put his eyes on. Basically it seems that like many offense-heavy systems, Oregon's defense was dependent on the offense's ability to control the ball. Notice how poorly Oregon did without Vernon Adams last year. Without a good (as in better than average) quarterback the system just falls apart.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 04:19:53 PM »

A) Washington is good
B) Oregon is bad
C) Arizona is bad

In 2014 Don Pellum did a good job

In 2014 Marcus Mariota destroyed everyone he put his eyes on. Basically it seems that like many offense-heavy systems, Oregon's defense was dependent on the offense's ability to control the ball. Notice how poorly Oregon did without Vernon Adams last year. Without a good (as in better than average) quarterback the system just falls apart.

In 2010 and 2011 Oregon qb was Darron Thomas who wasn't a star qb and Oregon were still a top 2-3 team those years

Yeah, but Don Pellum wasn't the DC at that point in time -- Alliotti was. Alliotti seemed to understand how to make their defense work with their offense. Apparently, as seen with almost every other up-tempo spread team in the Big 12, it takes a very talented DC to do that (probably more talented than average).

Also more teams are used to the speed Chip Kelly really pushed for during his tenure at Oregon. Therefore, there's less TOP for Oregon's offense compared to 2008-2011.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »

Something occurred to me. If A&M actually beats Bama tomorrow and then manages to win the SEC West, will the Texas donors go even more off the edge than normal? I can see them burning down the program no matter how many games Charlie Strong wins if A&M does that well this year.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2016, 04:26:46 PM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

I think it's pretty clear that if both Washington and Baylor/West Virginia remain undefeated, there is no chance of getting two teams from the same conference into the playoff barring a catastrophic meltdown in the ACC and the SEC.

While we're talking about interesting scenarios, what does the committee do if the champions look like this?

ACC: undefeated Clemson
Pac-12: Undefeated Washington
B1G: 1-loss tOSU
Big XII: Undefeated WVU
SEC: Undefeated Alabama

All of these teams are good enough at their best to not lose any more games. I'm sure there would be serious pressure on the committee to include the B1G champion, especially when its an Ohio State that has looked really good, but do y'all think they would really slight an undefeated P5 champion to do so?

I think the B1G would be left out. The only scenario where I see an undefeated Big 12 champion edged out by the B1G is if Michigan wins out without any losses, or if WVU barely scrapes it out against Iowa State (or some equivalent team) and Ohio State crushes Michigan and then crushes Nebraska/Wisconsin (by like 20-30 point margins).
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 01:48:02 AM »

That special teams no-call during the punt return for the Washington-Utah game was egregiously bad. I hope that ref crew gets suspended.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 01:01:50 AM »

The first College Football Playoff rankings have been released, and we have 5 SEC teams in the top 13, including two of the four who are in for now.  If Alabama and A&M win out, I feel good about getting two teams in.  I will be down in Auburn this weekend, which should be a really fun atmosphere.

How many times does this have to be explained? Washington should almost breeze through the next 3. They would be exposed so badly if they were let in - might as well give Alabama a bye.

My Bears should hopefully take care of that on Saturday.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 03:23:34 AM »

Glad to see UW vindicated thanks to MS State. Smiley

Too soon to say. Ohio State manhandled Nebraska more than Washington manhandled us. Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 01:27:13 AM »

CHAOOOOOOS
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 01:20:38 AM »

Who would've thought four months ago Mark Helfrich would be fired from Oregon and Ed Orgeron would now be running LSU.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 06:00:36 PM »

This is going to be one of those years where the top 10 moves around but we end up with the expected #1 and #2 in the championship.

I'm both happy and incredibly disappointed to know I was right on this.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 09:23:06 PM »

So did Ohio State deserve to be in the playoffs? Tongue
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 03:47:38 PM »

So did Ohio State deserve to be in the playoffs? Tongue

I said I would have preferred Penn State in. Ohio State is probably better, but they failed when they had the chance. I still think USC might have been the best alternative to both in terms of ability to win, but they had no legitimate case to be in. We'll see tonight, I reckon!

Agreed. USC right now looks like a Top 5 team -- if only they could cut off the first three week sof their season.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies