Is it safe to say we are living in a post, post-9/11 world? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:53:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is it safe to say we are living in a post, post-9/11 world? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it safe to say we are living in a post, post-9/11 world?  (Read 1979 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: March 30, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »

We are post nothing. 9/11 was only a temporary blip in the wider scale of things, the "War on terror" was only a sales pitch and a gimmick catchphrase popular with a certain type of voter, nothing more.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »

has the post-9/11 mentality of 2001-2004 worn off?
I think you just answered your question.

sshhh.. Don't accuse of Naso of logical consistency.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »

Don't get angry at me just because you guys helped elect a coward in the White House. The guy is so whipped.

Naso, do you think in anything else other than trite Hollywood cliches, I mean, come on, there must be a soul - an essense of you - free from such bollocks.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »

Instead of all jumping on the partisan and somewhat inane nature of Naso's post, perhaps we should shift this and ask whether we are living in a world that is culturally 'post-9/11'?

'Postcolonialism' has produced some of the finest literature in history - in my opinion at least - both from the metropole and the periphery; while 9/11 may pale in significance as an 'event' in comparison, do we think that this has had and will continue to have a major cultural impact? I can think of a few works that have been described as being culturally 'post-9/11' - Joseph O'Neill's Netherland, which I admit to not having read so I can't really comment - but is this the dawning of a new cultural and literary movement or is it just - as Gully put it - a 'blip'?

In (semi) popular culture (ie. The Cinema; the only one I'm fit to speak about) a dreary drabness has been replaced by... an even drearier drabness and misanthropy which mistakes itself for art. I despair.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies