California Propositions Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 03:12:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Propositions Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Propositions Thread  (Read 13382 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: October 09, 2008, 10:15:49 PM »

Nothing can protect incumbents more than the current system.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:04:25 AM »

Compliance with the VRA is required?

Ugh. In that case, count two new votes against Prop 11.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »

I'm not a fan myself, but are you saying the state should ignore federal law?

It only aplies to congressional districts. And for those, yes, nullification seems just fine.

The prop does not apply to congressional redistricting. Trying to create competitive districts in Calif at present however, is a rather futile exercise. Folks of different political persuasions seem to prefer not to live near each other in California.

That is because competitiveness is not in itself a virtue; with single-member districts, it produces massive swings in seats on small swings in the popular vote.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »

I'm not a fan myself, but are you saying the state should ignore federal law?

It only aplies to congressional districts. And for those, yes, nullification seems just fine.

The prop does not apply to congressional redistricting. Trying to create competitive districts in Calif at present however, is a rather futile exercise. Folks of different political persuasions seem to prefer not to live near each other in California.

That is because competitiveness is not in itself a virtue; with single-member districts, it produces massive swings in seats on small swings in the popular vote.

It won't in Cali, absent something lines out-of-this-world erose.

If each district is precisely 50-50, then a 1% swing one way would give the candidate getting the swing each and every seat.

That it wouldn't happen here I don't disagree with, but that's more because of the impossibility of drawing all districts to be fully competitive than anything else.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »

Sums up my feelings on almost all of these. But the Founding Fathers of California decided on a crappy half-Switzerland, for reasons I cannot percieve.

And the idea of Prop 11 isn't bad, but the way it's done is hideous. Plus, I like having legislators who represent my political beliefs, even if it requires gerrymandering.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 08:04:21 PM »

Sums up my feelings on almost all of these. But the Founding Fathers of California decided on a crappy half-Switzerland, for reasons I cannot percieve.

And the idea of Prop 11 isn't bad, but the way it's done is hideous. Plus, I like having legislators who represent my political beliefs, even if it requires gerrymandering.

The map for prop 11 results defies any sort of rhyme or reason:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-2008election-california-results,0,1293859.htmlstory?view=11&tab=0&fnum=0

Seriously, can anyone explain this?  It looks like the very liberal (SF, Humboldt, Santa Cruz) were more likely to vote against it, and the partisan republicans (OC and thereabouts) for, but beyond that, what the hell is going on in this map?

It resembles a map from the 1960s.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies