Obama saves net neutrality, orders broadband be classified as vital service (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:21:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama saves net neutrality, orders broadband be classified as vital service (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama saves net neutrality, orders broadband be classified as vital service  (Read 9681 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: November 10, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »

Remember, libertarians like wormyguy claim to be anti-corporatism.

This is a gift to Netflix.

Small business over big business then.

Yeah Netflix isn't small business in the traditional sense, but they sure are in comparison to the telecom giants opposing this.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »

http://www.minnpost.com/data/2013/09/mapping-fiber-internet-minneapolis-where-it-and-will-it-expand

Don't have it. Though I could get it if I moved a few blocks to the west.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 09:09:29 AM »

Perhaps the main reason why net neutrality is so important is that in many areas one ISP has a monopoly. So if they start throttling in ways you don't like, you can't just switch to a non-throttling competitor. Assuming there even is one, even most places without monopolies don't have many options, even in Minneapolis there's only two in the whole city: Comcast and CenturyLink. You can get USI Wireless in some areas as well but if you live literally a block away from a coverage area you can't. Also in rural areas you might have only one option for high speed internet, you could switch, but to slower and unreliable depending on the weather satellite internet.

That's why the standard libertarian excuse of "RAR RAR FREE MARKET!" doesn't work in this case, because internet access simply ISN'T a free market in many areas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies