Save for any realignment, is NC about to become solid blue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:31:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Save for any realignment, is NC about to become solid blue?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Save for any realignment, is NC about to become solid blue?  (Read 1368 times)
indietraveler

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/rapidly-changing-north-carolina-becoming-key-swing-state-n604186

I wasn't aware the demographic changes were that big in the last 15 or so years. If this continues, does the state become safe D in say, 8 years?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »

About to? No, but it's definitely becoming more competitive. If the trend continues, it could be very close to the tipping point in the 2020s.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »

No, maybe Lean D in the future
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »

It might start leaning blue, but it won't be solid for a good 20 years.
Camaro33
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.23, S: 0.17

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »

2028ish it will be lean blue in a pure toss up election (or Dem > +0 PVI). North Carolina is growing enormously due to New England transplants and having areas like the Research Triangle, Charlotte, and the triad which are attractive to younger people to move to and live.

My guess is the midwest/rust belt is the area of the country that becomes R in PVI to compensate. In a non-squeaker Republican win, however, North Carolina for at least an entire generation will be part of that winning map.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 11:52:12 PM »

Maybe, maybe not. I say 50/50 at this point.
DS0816
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 11:17:36 AM »

It should be noted that, since 1984, North Carolina and neighboring Virginia have been no more than 5.98 percentage points in their spread from each other. And, in 2012, it marked the first time when they carried differently officially it was North Carolina which was in the Republican column and Virginia in the Democratic column.

MARGINS SPREAD • 1984–2012:
NORTH CAROLINA AND VIRGINIA

• 1984: 1.19
• 1988: 4.25
• 1992: 3.59
• 1996: 2.74
• 2000: 4.80
• 2004: 4.24
• 2008: 5.98
• 2012: 5.92

From the 25 presidential elections of 1916–2012, the two states carried differently in 1952, 1956, 1960, 1976, and 2012.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:25:54 AM »

No. At least not yet.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 11:46:19 AM »

Republicans will change their platform to stay alive WELL before NC is completely lost for them.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »

Eventually, yes. It could be lean blue as early as 2024 though.
Weiner/Holder
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 03:00:54 AM »

No it doesn't have the internal dynamics needed but it is purplish red and will remain so.  It will vote Republican unless Democrats win by 4 or more.  I don't see a leftward trend since 2008 but did see it before that though when Bush won by less in 2004 than he did in 2000.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »

Why is it okay to say things about how LA, AL, MS, GA, SC, and NC will soon be more favorable to Democrats? When people on here also mention the Mideast(MN, IL, WI, and MI) is trending Republican, we make fun of them, saying things like "LOL Mideast GOP because muh working class whites!"

It seems Atlas can only accept a realignment helping Democrats.
hopper
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »

If the GOP keeps on nominating Presidential Candidates that are ex-clusive to Minority Voters or don't bring a "vision for the future" on "policy making" maybe over the long term NC will be like Washington State or Oregon and be like D+5. I don;t see NC being as Dem as say Maryland at the Presidential Level in the long term future. If the GOP nominates Presidential Candidates that have a "vision for the future" on "policy making" and in-clusive to Minority Voters I do think NC will be a battleground state for a long while.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 12:56:25 PM »

Why is it okay to say things about how LA, AL, MS, GA, SC, and NC will soon be more favorable to Democrats? When people on here also mention the Mideast(MN, IL, WI, and MI) is trending Republican, we make fun of them, saying things like "LOL Mideast GOP because muh working class whites!"

I mean, that's a bit of a false equivalency. Long-term demographic changes simply favor the Democratic Party. As Lindsey Graham famously said, there's not enough angry white guys to stay in business in the long term.
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 01:02:26 PM »

Well I say LA, AL, SC, and MS the Dems probably won't win in the near future. Yes GA they have a shot at in the near future.

The Upper Midwestern States has basically stayed stable in terms of PVI since 2000 at "Lean D" except for Ohio(being purple) and Indiana(Lean R.) If you want to include Iowa(Toss Up-Tilt D.)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 05:27:25 PM »

Because at various periods in time, the parties are not necessarily on equal footing and/or not facing equal headwinds. Just because a slew of states trends one way doesn't mean the other party gets their own batch of favorable trends. It's not like Republicans have not had their own periods of dominance and favorable trends. Eventually the pendulum swings back and we are now in a time where Democrats are on the receiving end.

That being said, I think the results of this election will help us understand more about what is going on in the rust belt / Great Lakes states, but as it stands now, there are few overwhelmingly trends that favor Republicans like demographics are for Democrats in states like, say, VA/CO/NV.

Republicans only have themselves to blame for digging themselves into a demographic hole. Instead of actually trying to expand their coalition, they settled for cheap, destructive politics to win elections in the short term, which helped damage and continue to damage their long-term prospects.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »

It follows wherever Virginia is going.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 06:31:38 PM »

Because at various periods in time, the parties are not necessarily on equal footing and/or not facing equal headwinds. Just because a slew of states trends one way doesn't mean the other party gets their own batch of favorable trends. It's not like Republicans have not had their own periods of dominance and favorable trends. Eventually the pendulum swings back and we are now in a time where Democrats are on the receiving end.

That being said, I think the results of this election will help us understand more about what is going on in the rust belt / Great Lakes states, but as it stands now, there are few overwhelmingly trends that favor Republicans like demographics are for Democrats in states like, say, VA/CO/NV.

Republicans only have themselves to blame for digging themselves into a demographic hole. Instead of actually trying to expand their coalition, they settled for cheap, destructive politics to win elections in the short term, which helped damage and continue to damage their long-term prospects.

Realignments traditionally help both parties in different states. It's not neccessrily an equal amount, but it does happen. For example, as California, New York, and New England trended Democrat immensely from 1956 to 1996, the South began realigning largely for the Republicans.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 08:26:47 PM by Virginia »

Realignments traditionally help both parties in different states. It's not neccessrily an equal amount, but it does happen. For example, as California, New York, and New England trended Democrat immensely from 1956 to 1996, the South began realigning largely for the Republicans.

That's true, and we could very well begin to see some shifts in some states sometime within the next 10 years towards Republicans (maybe this cycle, or maybe 2020, and so on). I don't know which states, but I think at least Iowa and Pennsylvania seem to have some potential. I have mixed thoughts on WI/MI for various reasons.

We just need more data right now.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »

That's true, and we could very well begin to see some shifts in some states sometime within the next 10 years towards Republicans (maybe this cycle, or maybe 2020, and so on). I don't know which states, but I think at least Iowa and Pennsylvania seem to have some potential. I have mixed thoughts on WI/MI for various reasons.

We just need more data right now.

This will sound ridiculous, I fully admit that: we need a non-Obama, non-Trump election to predict trends 30 years or more into the future.  Obama inspired a lot of minority turnout and support that previous Democrats hadn't, and he definitely appealed to some independents who would have maybe voted for Bush in 2000 and 2004.  Also, Trump is (IMO) uniquely toxic to racial minorities.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies