Would Jesus if a voter be a Republican? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:25:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Would Jesus if a voter be a Republican? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Jesus if a voter be a Republican?  (Read 4212 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2011, 08:41:42 PM by angus »

I ask, because of what Pawlenty said. Sigh. I guess now the idiot deserves grilling as to why he thinks Jesus is his political hero. Maybe he hates Wall Street and was inspired by Jesus's example of tossing over the tables of the money changers in the Temple or something. Or maybe he is inspired that Jesus helped solve a scarcity problem by turning water into wine. If not that, what?  

There's nothing really wrong with what Pawlenty said.  He named a bunch of folks that give Iowa voters the warm fuzzies.  Lincoln, Reagan, and Jesus.  Folks like to exploit Jesus' name.  My guess is that it does more good for him than harm, given the audience.  

As for your question, Jesus is a criminal and he was sentenced to capital punishment.(Mark 15:6-15)  So I'm thinking that in most states he wouldn't get to vote at all.  If he could vote, he probably would.  He said that his kingdom is not of this world (John 18:36), and he recognized mortal authority (Mark 12:17).  I seriously doubt he would be a member of the Democrat or Republican parties.(Matthew 7:12)  He might want to reduce the deficit (Romans 13:8 ), but I can't imagine him endorsing any current members of congress (Matthew 7:15).

But none of that is relevant.  Mentioning Jesus is like mentioning 9-11.  Or the flag.  You just work it into a sentence.  It doesn't have to make sense.

Reporter:  "Mister Smith, what will you do, if elected, about the recent recalls of millions of children's toys manufactured in unregulated sweatshops in China by major U.S. companies which were found to contain lead and chromium and arsenic?"  

Mister Smith:  "Well, it's just like when the terrorists attacked New York on 9-11.  We weren't shaken and we will not negotiate.  Our faith in Jesus remains.  We still support traditional values and we are still Number One in commerce and freedom!  And that's why I support a constitutional amendment prohibiting the burning of the U.S. flag.  Who's with me?"  (and the crowd eats it up.  Next question.)

Besides, your article points out that Pawlenty didn't sign that ridiculous pledge.  His handlers probably told him to make up for that, by mentioning his Christian faith somehow.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies