Do women have lower incomes (on average) because of discrimination? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:01:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do women have lower incomes (on average) because of discrimination? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Do women have lower incomes (on average) because of discrimination?  (Read 3704 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:46:50 AM »

Yes (not a complete tool)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:44:38 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 06:24:55 AM »

Enlighten me please. I know I'm not a native speaker, but I don't think I need to be one to realize that anyone who says "I could care less", when what he means is the exact opposite of that, is an illiterate idiot.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »

It's an idiomatic expression, albeit not one that I would use. Francophones wouldn't understand.

No. It's not an idiomatic expression. It's a gross logical mistake. One that should be systematically pointed out and result in the public shaming of the person who used it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »

It's an idiomatic expression, albeit not one that I would use. Francophones wouldn't understand.

No. It's not an idiomatic expression. It's a gross logical mistake. One that should be systematically pointed out and result in the public shaming of the person who used it.

It doesn't follow the same logic as the phrase that it evolved from. So what? This is English. There is no Académie anglais. People communicate as they please.

Oh for God's sake, not this bullsh*t. Of course language evolves and everything. But words have well-accepted meanings, and if you use them to mean the exact opposite of what they're supposed to, you're not an innovator, you're just an illiterate. I'm pretty sure most decent Anglophones would agree with me.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »

Antonio, people use "literally" to mean "not literally" all the time and that's not a crime against The Language or whatever. I literally don't see why is this any different. Americans can speak however they want.

I loathe the people who misuse "literally" just as much. Tongue Seriously, there are some "idiomatic expressions" that just make no f**king sense.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 04:07:38 AM »

This thread, especially the evolution of discussion topic, is incredibly atlas.txt.

Don't blame me, I just wanted to further establish the ridiculousness of Devin's argument by pointing out his illiteracy.

Why anyone would actually defend the use of the "I could care less" phrase is beyond me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies