LA judge upholds state SSM ban (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:20:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  LA judge upholds state SSM ban (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LA judge upholds state SSM ban  (Read 7570 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: September 13, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »

No, but I will say that going in to change a culture without taking the time to understand it has always worked out splendidly.

You: I'm not sure you should be allowed to get married.
Me: Why?
You: Someone else thinks you shouldn't.
Me:  Why is that?
You:  A reason, it might be a good reason.  Also, they're from a long time ago so they're automatically right.
Me:  Ok...
You:  Stop expecting people to have reasons for things!  It's mean!
Me: ...
You:  Maybe I'm right, sometimes there's a new thing and it's not a good thing.

"muh tradition"

There's a reason the courts continually throw out these bans time after time. There's simply no logical reason for or societal interest in banning gay marriage. Writing long winded posts about how those who oppose gay marriage are the TRUE victims and how muh tradition should inform our current views is stupid. Yes, gay marriage was banned for 99% of recorded human history. Women were also considered property for 98% of recorded human history. Indeed shua, surely our ancestors had a grand overarching purpose (NOT based on ignorance and bigotry, 4realz) for making women property, and if not adopt that view, we should certainly respect it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2014, 12:39:26 PM by IceSpear »

No, but I will say that going in to change a culture without taking the time to understand it has always worked out splendidly.

You: I'm not sure you should be allowed to get married.
Me: Why?
You: Someone else thinks you shouldn't.
Me:  Why is that?
You:  A reason, it might be a good reason.  Also, they're from a long time ago so they're automatically right.
Me:  Ok...
You:  Stop expecting people to have reasons for things!  It's mean!
You:  Maybe I'm right, sometimes there's a new thing and it's not a good thing.

"Gay people should be married because homophobes are homophobes. It's airtight reasoning. They didn't in the past because of they hated gays. Okay not really, they weren't thinking about it. No, yes it was because of bigotry. Or not. They were just stupid and irrational. Not like me, I'm super smart. No really, I really am. Maybe sexual orientation something 14th amendment something logic something human sacrifice."

see I can play that game too.

You didn't respond to whether or not you respect the view that women are property. What about that blacks are inherently inferior to whites? You shouldn't dismiss these ideas so easily you know, they were held for 99% of human history. It seems awfully pretentious of you to assume you know better than the longstanding traditions of our ancestors.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »

You didn't respond to whether or not you respect the view that women are property. What about that blacks are inherently inferior to whites? You shouldn't dismiss these ideas so easily you know, they were held for 99% of human history. It seems awfully pretentious of you to assume you know better than the longstanding traditions of our ancestors.

The premise of your question is incorrect.  Women as property and white supremacy have not historically been near-universals in human societies.  Maybe you can think of a better example?

They kind of have, especially the first one, but whatever. How about slavery? You can't get any more human than that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies