Vice-Presidential Election Amendment [At Final Vote] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:55:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice-Presidential Election Amendment [At Final Vote] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice-Presidential Election Amendment [At Final Vote]  (Read 12932 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: October 22, 2009, 05:42:12 AM »

I tend to agree with Marokai here; particularly regarding the fact that the Veeps 'tie breaker' tends to discourage the Senate from being deadlocked. It's one of those 'you'll miss it when it's gone' scenarios.

As for the initial bill in splitting the ticket and therefore the election, I can see the attraction. But what would a VP candidate campaign for? They are a constitutional necessity; it's a low key and often thankless position. However with any executive office holder, the VP has the authority to be an active participant in Senate affairs.

I could only envisage a split being beneficial if we developed the VP into a 'head of government' with the President as 'head of state'...but I'm sure we've had that discussion in the past Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 07:06:29 AM »

This is ultimately a solution to a problem that is caused by a solution to another problem that no one has adequately proven exists. Why jump through hoops for no reason?

There are some good reasons for abolishing the Vice President actually - most importantly (to my way of looking at things) the office is a constitutional anomaly. While clearly (and elected as) a member of the Executive, the Vice President's power (such as it is) is exercised in the Legislature. There isn't really a reason for this other than "we've always done things this way".

Such a thing is no more anomalous than the judiciary overriding legislative or executive decisions, the President interfering in the Senate's will by vetoing bills, or the Senate overriding executive decisions such as vetoes. Such interaction and power exercised over and between the branches is common practice.

With respect, perhaps the often attempted efforts to transform Atlasia into a parliamentary system should be taken up in separate amendments.

Would you be open to re-defining the role of the VP as a head of government? It makes the pick more important as they will have an effective 'Prime Ministerial' role, while still allowing the President to exercise his usual authority. I'm thinking France here, except with the opportunity for the President to take his nominee for head of govt 'with him' through a joint ticket. Also it wouldn't change the veeps current relationship with the Senate.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »

Nay on the amendment.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »

Nay
afleitch
Moderators