Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 12:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 57222 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: August 31, 2016, 08:09:32 AM »

to sum up the poll I'm being asked to go to a fundraiser tomorrow for Owen's campaign, on a cheaper ticket.

I doubt that 19 year old students are the types with lots of money flowing around- heck I already gave him 5 quid and the ticket for this thing costs 10 quid.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #476 on: August 31, 2016, 10:08:03 AM »

Would treat the poll mostly as a benchmark of expectations as the figures don't scream WHAT?!?! in either direction.

Though I will repeat an earlier point...

...even if there was one there would be inevitable question marks (given the above issue) as to accuracy.

I will also add: please do not overanalyse the internals, thnx.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #477 on: August 31, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »

I will leave this here...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #478 on: August 31, 2016, 02:21:11 PM »

Marxists all write basically the same argument in the same style these days don't they.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #479 on: August 31, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »

I actually agree with this, but in the opposite way.

Smith represents politics, for the better and for the worse. Corbyn represents the empty posturing of people who don't actually care about making a difference in people's lives, as long as they can feel morally superior for being a "principled leftist".
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #480 on: August 31, 2016, 04:15:19 PM »

I actually agree with this, but in the opposite way.

Smith represents politics, for the better and for the worse. Corbyn represents the empty posturing of people who don't actually care about making a difference in people's lives, as long as they can feel morally superior for being a "principled leftist".
I fully agree.
Actually,I was expecting the article to be pro-Smith after reading those lines.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #481 on: August 31, 2016, 04:32:05 PM »

Did Snowstalker write this?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #482 on: August 31, 2016, 05:10:24 PM »

Did Snowstalker write this?

The article continues:

"Indeed, to put this contest another way, were it not for the wise words of Thomas Sankara;"
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #483 on: August 31, 2016, 07:52:14 PM »

Sam Kriss is pretty terrible in general. He mostly writes clickbait-y articles for Jacobin about how "Suicide Squad is a metaphor for neo-liberalism" or things like that.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #484 on: August 31, 2016, 08:46:20 PM »

Sam Kriss is pretty terrible in general. He mostly writes clickbait-y articles for Jacobin about how "Suicide Squad is a metaphor for neo-liberalism" or things like that.

There are things about this piece that I really appreciated, but other than that, yeah, he's sh**t.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #485 on: August 31, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »

He mostly writes clickbait-y articles for Jacobin...

Figures.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2016, 05:37:42 AM »

Smith represents politics, for the better and for the worse.

It's not as deep as that; Smith represents those who want to see Jeremy Corbyn out as Labour leader. If he represents politics then he's not very good at it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2016, 06:24:15 AM »

It's not as deep as that; Smith represents those who want to see Jeremy Corbyn out as Labour leader. If he represents politics then he's not very good at it.

Politics isn't always good politics.

The point is that politics is about at least trying to wield some power, to have a transformative influence on the reality around you. Corbyn doesn't give a sh*t about the reality around him. All he wants is ideological purity, even if this leads him to utter irrelevance.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #488 on: September 01, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »

The point is that politics is about at least trying to wield some power, to have a transformative influence on the reality around you. Corbyn doesn't give a sh*t about the reality around him. All he wants is ideological purity, even if this leads him to utter irrelevance.
Do you really think the likes of Smith want to have a transformative influence on anything relevant ? Are you that deluded ? It's a bit sad. They want power, yes, but they don't want to actually do anything of it, and they end up just reinforcing the powers already existent, as shown by the whole Hollande experience. But, ok, I realize I'm now among the most far-leftists here, so I'll dial it down a notch.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2016, 07:41:43 AM »

There are things about this piece that I really appreciated, but other than that, yeah, he's sh**t.

His take on Milo for VICE was pretty good too.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #490 on: September 01, 2016, 08:08:48 AM »

Do you really think the likes of Smith want to have a transformative influence on anything relevant ? Are you that deluded ? It's a bit sad. They want power, yes, but they don't want to actually do anything of it, and they end up just reinforcing the powers already existent, as shown by the whole Hollande experience. But, ok, I realize I'm now among the most far-leftists here, so I'll dial it down a notch.

Because obviously anyone even slightly to the right of Corbyn's stale, dogmatic brand of far-leftism is just as bad as Hollande. Right.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #491 on: September 01, 2016, 08:19:48 AM »

FWIW, I don't think Corbyn is far-left by any definition. He's a bland keynesian at best.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #492 on: September 01, 2016, 08:21:27 AM »

FWIW, I don't think Corbyn is far-left by any definition. He's a bland keynesian at best.
ok then brother gg
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #493 on: September 01, 2016, 08:42:36 AM »

And what is Smith then? An evil neoliberal Blairite crypto-Thatcherist? On what basis exactly? Huh
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #494 on: September 01, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »

And what is Smith then? An evil neoliberal Blairite crypto-Thatcherist? On what basis exactly? Huh
Mainly on the basis of trolling everyone around here. But, yeah, I've shifted to the left quite a bit in the last year or so. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #495 on: September 01, 2016, 09:28:47 AM »

Mainly on the basis of trolling everyone around here. But, yeah, I've shifted to the left quite a bit in the last year or so. Wink

Oh well, you were already more leftist than me beforehand, so I can barely imagine now. Tongue

Seriously though, I really don't like the implication that anyone with a shed of pragmatism about how to achieve left-wing principles is always necessarily a sellout. That's clearly a false dichotomy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #496 on: September 01, 2016, 10:06:48 AM »

Politics can't make people happy and people who believe otherwise are just setting themselves up to be destroyed emotionally.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #497 on: September 01, 2016, 10:22:36 AM »

Oh well, you were already more leftist than me beforehand, so I can barely imagine now. Tongue

Seriously though, I really don't like the implication that anyone with a shed of pragmatism about how to achieve left-wing principles is always necessarily a sellout. That's clearly a false dichotomy.

I see what you're saying, but I think if some fetishize being "principled" in lieu of capacity for action, plenty are guilty of fetishizing "pragmatism" as well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #498 on: September 01, 2016, 10:37:54 AM »

I see what you're saying, but I think if some fetishize being "principled" in lieu of capacity for action, plenty are guilty of fetishizing "pragmatism" as well.

Well, duh. As a matter of fact, I've spent far more time calling out the latter on their bullsh*t than I have calling out the former on their bullsh*t - including on this very forum.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #499 on: September 03, 2016, 07:24:02 PM »

For what its worth I've just seen the internal phone bank data from the Smith Campaign.

Corbyn 45% Smith 39% Dk: 14%
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies