Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:50:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 887792 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28975 on: April 25, 2024, 08:20:01 AM »

😡
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28976 on: April 25, 2024, 08:32:03 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 08:35:24 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Tweet not showing on here, seemingly due to "graphic content".

(for the record, it concerns a claim of Russian chemical weapons use)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #28977 on: April 25, 2024, 10:30:24 AM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28978 on: April 25, 2024, 11:47:54 AM »

"A Texan decided that Obama is a fascist and went off to join Russian forces in Ukraine in 2014, becoming a darling of Kremlin propaganda. This month, he was picked up by Russian troops and wound up dead. My piece on the unlucky end of Russell Bentley."

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28979 on: April 25, 2024, 12:59:32 PM »

"A Texan decided that Obama is a fascist and went off to join Russian forces in Ukraine in 2014, becoming a darling of Kremlin propaganda. This month, he was picked up by Russian troops and wound up dead. My piece on the unlucky end of Russell Bentley."

Beyond messed up story even if the dude was a pos
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #28980 on: April 25, 2024, 01:21:24 PM »

I'm only including the defense spending related diagrams because this post would be even longer than it already is if I added them:

"The US Congress finally passed the $95 billion National Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, which includes aid for Ukraine, Israel & Indo-Pacific allies, and invests in the US Defense Industrial Base.

But what is actually in the bill, and where does the money go?

The Supplemental is actually comprised of 4 bills, which were packaged together by the US House under 1 rule, passed and messaged to the Senate. It includes Supplemental Appropriations Acts for Israel, Ukraine, the Indo-Pacific, and an omnibus sanctions bill.

This thread will exclusively cover the Ukraine Security Supplemental Appropriations Act (USSAA). Threads on the Israel & Indo-Pacific bills will follow next week. Don't expect one on the sanctions bill next week, but my friend @GLNoronha is a great source on that topic.

If you haven't already, I strongly encourage you to read my previous thread on US security assistance to Ukraine before proceeding any further. I know its very long but everything in this thread will make a lot more sense if you read it first. ⬇️
[Warning, it's 109 tweets long] https://twitter.com/ColbyBadhwar/status/1777328492566471120

Next step: forget everything you've already read about this bill from others. It was almost certainly wrong. I can't count the number of journalists who have claimed that the bill provides $60b in military aid directly to Ukraine, when in reality it's a fraction of that.

USSAA appropriates a total of $60,776,672,000, of which $50,679,672,000 (83.4%) is for security related accounts, and $10,097,000,000 (16.6%) is for economic/humanitarian aid. While almost all of the latter category is for Ukrainians, most of the security related $ is not.

This is immediately clear with the first two Department of Defense (DoD) subcategories, which USSAA starts with: MilPers and O&M, Services. This chart shows the enacted funding in USSAA, compared to the Senate's proposal and President Biden's original budget request.

On the far right column is the purpose the funds are being appropriated for, which in this case is US European Command (EUCOM) Operations. There is $6.5 billion for these two categories, which, though included in a "Ukraine aid bill", doesn't go to Ukraine, it goes to DoD.

Under Operation Atlantic Resolve, the US has deployed additional forces to Europe in response to Russia's invasion. These funds for EUCOM cover the expenses incurred through these troop rotations & operations. So while "Ukraine related", it isn't funding that helps Ukraine.

This next section has two critical line items: the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI) & the replacement fund. Both of these are explained in the previous thread, if you need a refresher. $18.9b had been appropriated for USAI to date, so $13.8b is a large sum.

The USAI program is a disaster though. There's still $6.6b uncontracted, and the Biden Admin has refused to use these funds to procure Ukraine's highest priority item: additional Patriot systems. Whether these new funds are used more responsibly or not is a key benchmark.

The DoD should immediately commit USAI funds to procure the balance of available artillery ammunition via the Czech & Estonian initiatives. Then, they should coordinate with NATO members on placing large orders for new Patriot systems for both Ukraine & themselves.

This is essential for Raytheon to be able to invest in increasing their production rate. They have facilitization for 1 per month, but the labour and supply chains are not in place to actually produce that many. Without orders for dozens of systems, they won't scale up.

As for the replacement fund, this $13.4 billion is a major shortcoming. The $18b requested by the Biden Admin was already totally inadequate. It's unclear why the Senate bill cut $4.6b from the request, but it was a mistake for the House to not fix it.

Given the DoD already needs $10 billion to cover replacement costs for defense articles already drawndown for Ukraine, they are left with just $3.4b to cover replacement costs for $3.9b in existing Presidential Drawdown Authority, plus $7.8b in new PDA.

This is obviously an abysmal situation. By summertime the Biden Admin could conceivably declare that they have to stop Drawdowns to Ukraine because they have run out of replacement funding, as they arbitrarily did in December 2023.

At a bare minimum, $34 billion in replacement funds was needed to cover the existing $10 billion hole, plus the new & existing PDA. Utilizing all of the available drawdown authority could easily result in a $20 billion shortfall in funds needed to buy replacement stocks.

Procurement: like the Services' MilPers and O&M accounts, although these funds are part of the Ukraine supplemental, they aren't for Ukraine. This $13.3b is primarily for the Services to increase production and procurement of key munitions, and for EUCOM cybersecurity.

Ukraine does indirectly benefit from increased US munitions production, but that is not the primary purpose of these funds, which the Admin has requested in all 4 previous supplementals too. The main question here is why the Senate exceeded the requested amount by $6.5b?

The Senate's decision to cut $4.6b from the replacement fund, only to add $6.5b to the Procurement accounts is especially strange, given that Congress has significant oversight power over the former account & less on the latter. There may be an informal agreement on this.

Perhaps it was the Senate's way of locking in a portion of the money for replacement of certain weapon systems that they want the President to drawdown from DoD stocks. The large increases for Army Missile & Ammunition Procurement lends some support to that theory.

Congress is already able to effectively do that though, given their oversight power over reprogramming actions for the replacement fund; which is also more transparent for the public. So it remains a mystery for now. The bottom line is that there still isn't enough money.

I'll also note that the one difference between the Senate & House bills here is the extra $475m for Other Procurement, Air Force. The House moved those dollars to that account from O&M, Air Force; also unknown why this was done; there's something they want the AF to buy.

Closing out Defense: $633m for RDT&E to support cybersecurity and other needs in EUCOM, $8m for the DoD IG to conduct oversight of aid to Ukraine, and $2m for the IC to support Russian war crimes investigations.

A total of $48.4b goes to DoD managed funding accounts.

The Department of Energy gets ~$150 million to provide nuclear & radiological response support to Ukraine, and $98 million for nuclear isotope production. The Admin had initially requested those funds for nuclear reactors but the Senate put the money in this account.

The $10.1b economic & humanitarian aid is divided between HHS & the State Department, with the majority going to the $7.9 billion forgivable loan for the Economic Support Fund, and $1.6 billion in assistance to Ukraine & other impacted countries in the region.

The last appropriations is the $2 billion for State Department managed security assistance programs: $400m for civilian law enforcement/security needs, and $1.6b for Foreign Military Financing loans for Ukraine & others in Europe to fund purchases from the US via FMS/DCS.

In the past, INL funding has actually been used to fund the procurement of vehicles for Ukraine's State Border Guard Service, including the Canadian produced Roshel Senator MRAP. This would be a prudent use of that new $400 million, as Roshel has a robust production rate.

As I noted in my previous thread, only $1.6 billion for FMF is unfortunate. Long term security assistance to Ukraine is better placed in this program rather than USAI. FMF gives the Ukrainians more control; the Biden Admin can't spend it on things Ukraine don't want.

When you compile all the security assistance to Ukraine made available by the bill, both actual funds & the new Drawdown authority, it's only $23.6b. Excluding PDA, you're left with the actual funding for their defense: $15.8b, out of $60.8b. Just 26%. Not very much.

This is the fundamental problem with the way the Biden Administration has structured their budget requests since the beginning of the war. The Ukraine supplementals are filled with money that isn't for Ukraine, and Congress hasn't had the sense to correct this mistake.

It creates a false illusion that Ukraine is receiving far more money and far more assistance than they actually are. The media has been very guilty in exacerbating this problem as well, by failing to actually read the legislation and explain it to their audiences.

All of this is very helpful to Russian disinformation efforts. The public has been led to believe that Ukraine has been sent $113 billion in hard cash, and American politicians are still making this worse by failing to craft a bill that addresses Ukraine's actual needs.

The bill has been signed by President Biden though. We can only hope that he makes the most of the resources he asked for. The $1 billion drawdown and extremely overdue provision of 300km range ATACMS are good first steps, but there's 2 years of past mistakes to correct.

Sullivan said yesterday that the funding will cover all of Ukraine's needs in 2024. It will need to, because I'm not confident on another bill passing this year. If Biden asks for another, Congress would be right to ask why he didn't submit a larger request to begin with?

In all likelihood another Ukraine aid bill will be needed; certainly in early 2025, if not sooner. We can only hope that all parties involved learned important lessons about the fulfillment of their responsibilities. Ukraine is still counting on it's friends for support.

I hope that this explanation was helpful to you. I'd appreciate it if you'd RT the thread, and follow myself & my colleagues at @InsiderEng & @tochnyi for more."

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28981 on: April 25, 2024, 03:38:19 PM »

Dropping the whole tweet threads on us eh Storr? Lol
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28982 on: April 25, 2024, 03:56:24 PM »

It's all a-okay by me.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #28983 on: April 25, 2024, 04:59:16 PM »

I try not to share long threads. But, I felt sharing a detailed breakdown of what is in the Ukraine aid package (finally) passed by Congress was worth sharing, even if it was really...really long.

Meanwhile:

"The defence ministers of Poland and Lithuania have pledged to help Ukraine repatriate its men who are of fighting age but have left the country to avoid being sent to the battlefield. Latest for @FinancialTimes"

"Poland is the main haven for people escaping the conflict and there are an estimated 200,000 Ukrainian men in the country, according to Eurostat and the Polish central bank.

Ukraine earlier this month suspended consular services for men of military age living abroad, including in Poland, making it harder for them to extend their stay."

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #28984 on: April 25, 2024, 06:12:08 PM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/04/24/as-russian-troops-broke-through-ukrainian-lines-panicky-ukrainian-commanders-had-no-choice-but-to-deploy-one-of-their-least-prepared-brigades/?sh=4633b4954e64

"As Russian Troops Broke Through Ukrainian Lines, Panicky Ukrainian Commanders Had No Choice But To Deploy One Of Their Least-Prepared Brigades"

Ocheretino's fall seems to due to an issue of troop rotation on Ukraine's side where the brigade that is suppose to take over Ocheretino's defenses just failed to take their position.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28985 on: April 25, 2024, 06:39:57 PM »

Russian media calculations on how much collective West assets in Russia they might seize in response to collective West seizing Russian assets.  One problem is I suspect a lot of the Cyprus "foreign assets" are really held by Russians.  Cyprus is like the Russian Cayman Islands.  Also, I think this report understates the amount of Russian assets frozen by the collective West.  Still, the chart does show that net-net the total net asset gain from a seizure MAD is not as large as many might believe.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #28986 on: April 25, 2024, 06:45:33 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 06:48:59 PM by Storr »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/04/24/as-russian-troops-broke-through-ukrainian-lines-panicky-ukrainian-commanders-had-no-choice-but-to-deploy-one-of-their-least-prepared-brigades/?sh=4633b4954e64

"As Russian Troops Broke Through Ukrainian Lines, Panicky Ukrainian Commanders Had No Choice But To Deploy One Of Their Least-Prepared Brigades"

Ocheretino's fall seems to due to an issue of troop rotation on Ukraine's side where the brigade that is suppose to take over Ocheretino's defenses just failed to take their position.

This section makes me wonder why the Russians are holding the 90th Tank Division in reserve. Since such troop rotation issues appear to be quite rare, why would the Russians not send in all available units to make the most of such an opportunity?

"It’s unclear what might happen next in and around Ocheretyne. For now, Ukrainian troops “hold positions in the western part of the village and maintain fire control over its southern part,” the Ukrainian Center for Defense Strategies noted.

That the Ukrainians had to rush into a combat a comparatively weak brigade [the 100th Mechanized Brigade] speaks to the paucity of Ukraine’s reserves west of Avdiivka, however. The Russians, for their part, are keeping an entire tank division, the 90th, in reserve around Avdiivka.

If the 90th Tank Division rolls into Ocheretyne before the Ukrainian eastern command mobilizes additional reinforcements, the Russian penetration could widen into a full-fledged breakthrough—one that could force tens of thousands of Ukrainian troops to retreat west to their next line of defenses."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #28987 on: April 25, 2024, 07:35:11 PM »

Russian media calculations on how much collective West assets in Russia they might seize in response to collective West seizing Russian assets.  One problem is I suspect a lot of the Cyprus "foreign assets" are really held by Russians.  Cyprus is like the Russian Cayman Islands.  Also, I think this report understates the amount of Russian assets frozen by the collective West.  Still, the chart does show that net-net the total net asset gain from a seizure MAD is not as large as many might believe.

Russian media, as we know, is famously truthful and never lies or distorts facts.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28988 on: April 25, 2024, 08:08:27 PM »

Thanks for going to the effort to copy/paste that. It was very good quality content and I for one definitely would never have seen it otherwise.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #28989 on: April 25, 2024, 08:24:40 PM »

The notion of Biden signed a bill to fund and arm Ukraine and the arms will be usable inside 2 weeks is humorous in a sad way to me. When you consider how logistically complicated that process is, my dad in contrast retired from a federal government job a few years ago and it took them 6 months to turn on paying him his retirement.

Amazing what the government can do when it actually gives a sh*t.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28990 on: April 25, 2024, 11:07:14 PM »

The notion of Biden signed a bill to fund and arm Ukraine and the arms will be usable inside 2 weeks is humorous in a sad way to me. When you consider how logistically complicated that process is, my dad in contrast retired from a federal government job a few years ago and it took them 6 months to turn on paying him his retirement.

Amazing what the government can do when it actually gives a sh*t.
Aid was help up for 6 months, it’s not a stretch that during that time moves were made to forward needed stuff ahead into bases in places like Poland to get over the border asap
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28991 on: April 25, 2024, 11:09:10 PM »

Russian media, as we know, is famously truthful and never lies or distorts facts.

Anyone believing Russian media reports that the amount of foreign assets held in Russia is equivalent to those Russia holds outside the country- ai lmao.

Oh well, poor Cypress
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #28992 on: April 26, 2024, 05:44:52 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 06:00:03 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

The notion of it’s not a stretch that during that time moves were made to forward needed stuff ahead into bases in places like Poland to get over the border asap

How did they pay for it? As in the name of the charge account. Congress passed and Biden signed the law but clearly the money was already spent so I imagine the funds are getting transferred by the Cost Account Manager, but in the hypothetical world where the law was not passed, how did they pay for all this future actions? Misallocation of federal funds doing work for the government is defined by them as a federal crime, not that there was ever a chance of anyone involved in this ever getting charged. Meanwhile it takes them 6 months to hit a button to turn on paying retirement to people that served them for decades.

I know what the government is, this is just another example: they have become so byzantine that for the normal person to accomplish anything in a decent amount of time becomes impossible. For when the government needs something done quick, they just ignore all the laws they have created. (On that front, I'm waiting for people in Ukraine in the decade after this war ends to be profiting selling around all this ITAR technology we're giving them to countries we don't want to have it.)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28993 on: April 26, 2024, 06:06:55 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-war-abrams-tanks-19d71475d427875653a2130063a8fb7a

"Ukraine pulls US-provided Abrams tanks from the front lines over Russian drone threats"

But the battlefield has changed substantially since then, notably by the ubiquitous use of Russian surveillance drones and hunter-killer drones. Those weapons have made it more difficult for Ukraine to protect the tanks when they are quickly detected and hunted by Russian drones or rounds.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28994 on: April 26, 2024, 06:09:24 AM »

The notion of it’s not a stretch that during that time moves were made to forward needed stuff ahead into bases in places like Poland to get over the border asap

How did they pay for it? As in the name of the charge account. Congress passed and Biden signed the law but clearly the money was already spent so I imagine the funds are getting transferred by the Cost Account Manager, but in the hypothetical world where the law was not passed, how did they pay for all this future actions? Misallocation of federal funds doing work for the government is defined by them as a federal crime, not that there was ever a chance of anyone involved in this ever getting charged. Meanwhile it takes them 6 months to hit a button to turn on paying retirement to people that served them for decades.

I know what the government is, this is just another example: they have become so byzantine that for the normal person to accomplish anything in a decent amount of time becomes impossible. For when the government needs something done quick, they just ignore all the laws they have created. (On that front, I'm waiting for people in Ukraine in the decade after this war ends to be profiting selling around all this ITAR technology we're giving them to countries we don't want to have it.)
Pay for what? The US moving it’s own already own equipment from one US own base to another shouldn’t be requiring funding from the drawdown authority or anything like that it’s stuff that’s already bought and paid for and any DOD middle men that had to transport this equipment would already be compensated based on the passed DOD’s budget. Forwarding this stuff into different bases wouldn’t be misallocating funds come on now
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28995 on: April 26, 2024, 06:14:54 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 06:26:22 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

“Military briefing: Russia’s narrowing advantage in Ukraine”
Guarantee that a certain yellow avatar who loves posting articles like this whenever it’s Ukraine dooming is going to ignore this one
https://www.ft.com/content/1e7204cf-ebb0-443d-9c67-84cba2332391
https://archive.md/TtvHe
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28996 on: April 26, 2024, 08:05:35 AM »

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-russia-war-abrams-tanks-19d71475d427875653a2130063a8fb7a

"Ukraine pulls US-provided Abrams tanks from the front lines over Russian drone threats"

But the battlefield has changed substantially since then, notably by the ubiquitous use of Russian surveillance drones and hunter-killer drones. Those weapons have made it more difficult for Ukraine to protect the tanks when they are quickly detected and hunted by Russian drones or rounds.

This has major implications for the US military. Are tanks obsolete in the drone war era?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28997 on: April 26, 2024, 08:14:38 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 08:18:47 AM by CumbrianLefty »

Obsolete is almost certainly going a bit far, but yeah.

The routine use of drones is clearly changing warfare in important ways.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #28998 on: April 26, 2024, 08:55:32 AM »

"Wow, this is a thoroughly horrifying story: two Russian soldiers (one of whom is a previously convicted murderer) have been arrested in the occupied Kherson region on charges of killing 4–7 people, including several local civilians."

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28999 on: April 26, 2024, 01:57:26 PM »

Pro-Russian sources say the Russians are capturing all the high ground in and around Krasnogorovka

Pages: 1 ... 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 [1160] 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies