Megathread: Congressional Vote on the Iran Deal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:21:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Megathread: Congressional Vote on the Iran Deal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Megathread: Congressional Vote on the Iran Deal  (Read 48940 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: August 04, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »

Rep. Lowey (D-NY), Rep. Israel (D-NY), and Deutch (D-FL) are against the deal.

Links, if anyone needs:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/rep-steve-israel-announces-opposition-to-iran-deal-121000.html
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ted-deutch-bill-nelson-iran-nuclear-20150804-story.html
http://www.algemeiner.com/2015/08/04/new-york-democrat-nita-lowey-announces-opposition-to-iran-nuclear-deal/

The second link also includes Sen. Nelson's decision to support the deal.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »

Wouldn't Schumer seriously damage his chances of becoming the new Dem leader by voting against his own caucus on such critical issue? Real Democrats certainly shouldn't let that slip.
I think it might hurt him, but if he doesn't actively try to convince other Democrats and the bill will be passed, then he will be forgiven. Other Democrats will understand that he is not to be envied, as a Jewish senator in New York, the blue state were opposition against the Iran deal might be the highest. Supporting the deal might lead to a serious primary.

Democratic Jews don't care about foreign policy nearly as much as everyone seems to think. Otherwise they'd be solid Republicans by now. Also, despite what Netanyahu wants us to believe, he does not in fact speak for all Jews.

If Schumer fears he'll be primaried, it's just further proof that Democrats need to grow a spine.

Neither do you.

But a combination of Bibi, Bennett, Herzog, Lapid, Livni, and others do speak for Jews worldwide, and they all oppose this bad Iran deal.

Also, you are right...One issue or a few issues usually isn't enough to tip an entire voting block one way. This goes for everyone. However, to say Israel and other foreign policy issues that do effect American Jewish lives is not important is wishful thinking on the far-left.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »

Wouldn't Schumer seriously damage his chances of becoming the new Dem leader by voting against his own caucus on such critical issue? Real Democrats certainly shouldn't let that slip.
I think it might hurt him, but if he doesn't actively try to convince other Democrats and the bill will be passed, then he will be forgiven. Other Democrats will understand that he is not to be envied, as a Jewish senator in New York, the blue state were opposition against the Iran deal might be the highest. Supporting the deal might lead to a serious primary.

Democratic Jews don't care about foreign policy nearly as much as everyone seems to think. Otherwise they'd be solid Republicans by now. Also, despite what Netanyahu wants us to believe, he does not in fact speak for all Jews.

If Schumer fears he'll be primaried, it's just further proof that Democrats need to grow a spine.

Neither do you.

But a combination of Bibi, Bennett, Herzog, Lapid, Livni, and others do speak for Jews worldwide, and they all oppose this bad Iran deal.

No. They speak for Israel. Plenty of Jews don't agree with current Israeli government or parties. And that's without some, like the Outremont Jews here in Québec, thinking Israel is illegitimate and "hereric", because Jews shouldn't return to the Holy Land until God allows them to do so.

Yes, there are crazy people in every grouping of people. Satmar Jews are the American version of that. 

A better example would be ultra-secular Jews who do not identify with Israel, but in most cases these Jews also don't strongly identify with Judaism either. Which is fine, I disagree with it strongly and on moral grounds, but one will do what one wants to do.

But, for the most part, Jews who somewhat strongly or strongly identify with the culture, religion etc...have Israel as a top 5 or top 10 issue.

Israel doesn't exist for the mere fact of existing. It exists to better Jewish life, including Diaspora Jewish life. It may not be very successful in the latter, but Israel definitely does more for Diaspora Jews then any political party has or will do.

This continuous effort to split Jews and Israel from each other is not surprising to me, because ultimately the only thing the far-left wants is 100% obedience on all issues.

Also, the Security establishment in Israel is who? Dagan, Halevy? People who are irrelevant in today's world and just want to win the love of the left?

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:32:46 PM »

@Horus: lol cool story bro

#SchumerTheShomer
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »

Menendez is an obvious one. Cardin will likely follow Schumer. Wyden, Stabenow, Bennet, Warner are also votes that could realistically follow, I think. Booker received the most support from Jewish, Israel groups in 2014 of ANY candidate, so he might as well.

so, 8 there, possibly. Donnelly, since he's a conservadem, maybe Casey too, so 10. Baldwin has been strongly voting with Pro-Israel groups all year, so she's a possibility. 11.

After that it gets hard to tell.

Whitehouse will vote for the deal (he gave a nasty bashing to Bibi in March and didn't go to the speech in congress)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 08:16:02 PM »

I would like to apologize for the comments I made to my fellow tribe members who support the Iran Deal. It was inappropriate and especially after today, when I got a taste of my own medicine at work, I realize I was out of line.

I hope Horus and whoever else I may have offended accept my apology.

Moving on, those 340 Rabbis are members of Ameinu, correct? a progressive group in the Conference of Presidents?

They are vastly outnumbered by fellow  Conference members:

Orthodox Union
Rabbinical Council of America
Hadassah
AIPAC
CAMERA
AJC
ADL
B'nai B'rith
JINSA
ZOA

and possibly others are all firmly and publicly against the Deal. Only, to my current knowledge, Americans for Peace Now joins Ameinu in supporting the deal from within the Conference of Presidents.  
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 02:08:24 AM »

Bob Casey will vote for the deal. Disgusting. Now I regret my 2012 vote for him even more. Sad
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 12:25:45 AM »

I have been a DWS supporter since 2010, and a strong one at that since 2012, but not any longer. Like Cory Booker, and possibly Joe Manchin, I hope to see them all lose re-election.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 12:15:38 AM »

isn't Cherry Hill in the Philly suburbs of Jersey? its a very wealthy and Jewish area.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

Pope Endorses The Iran Deal

This Pope continues to be awesome! He also calls for the removal of all nuclear weapons from the Middle East (aka Israel).

If there's one source Israel doesn't take orders from, it's the Roman Catholic Church.

Then it's a good thing Israel can't do anything to stop the deal. Smiley

Not the deal, per se, but if it gets to zero hour, it'll likely be on them alone to stop Iran from becoming a nuclear state a la North Korea.

Regardless, this isn't about the deal. This is about the man in charge of the institution responsible for most of the pre-WW2 attempts at wiping out the Jews telling the world's Jewish state that they need to disarm.

No this is about the most badass Pope ever continuing to be badass.

Also I wished someone would have stopped Israel from gaining nuclear weapons. Seems extremely hypocritical that they get a free pass.

Not comparable. There is no existential thread to Iran. While Israel needs nukes more than any other country.

Amen.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 09:52:04 AM »

Only leftists, and Libertarian Republicans truly believe Israel having access to nuclear weapons is much more dangerous then Iran having access to them.

Politicus' comments represent what I think about this perfectly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies