Kate Brown 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:28:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kate Brown 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kate Brown 2020?  (Read 3572 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »

Why don't we hear much about her, she seems to be the only potential viable female Governor who could run?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »

heck no, she has been oregon's worst governor in a very long time
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »

lol I started a thread about this a while ago shes great btw her approval rating is good and shes really reforming Oregon
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »

she'd undoubtedly be the best president since f.d.r. but ofc whether she could win is a different question
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 05:41:50 PM »

The U.S wouldn't even vote for a woman President.  Unfortunately, I highly doubt it would vote for a lesbian President.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »

The consistency in the results of Oregon gubernatorial elections is rather amusing. The last 5 (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2016) have all been narrow single-digit Democratic victories; Republicans can consistently come close to taking the governorship but never do quite manage it.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 09:29:31 PM »

Almost 40 percent of the United states would never vote for someone who's gay or bisexual. That includes Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Conservatives, Liberals, moderates. Millennials, baby boomers. She wouldn't even win the nomination for the Democratic Party
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:44:38 PM »

If an actual lesbian in Tammy Baldwin can win in Wisconsin, then I don't see how Kate Brown wouldn't be able to eke 270 electoral votes somehow because of her sexuality.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »

What has she accomplished as Governor?
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »

Minimum wage increase, paid family leave, free community college, automatic voter registration Oregon was the 1st to do so.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 10:07:02 PM »

Minimum wage increase, paid family leave, free community college, automatic voter registration Oregon was the 1st to do so.

15 dollar min wage is a disaster, and I oppose automatic voter registration
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 10:08:39 PM »

I understand differing opinions on the minimum wage, but why do you oppose automatic voter registration?

The other stuff sounds good though.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »

It was actually not $15 minimum wage she just put through a tiered one with it being lower for rural areas and higher for urban areas.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 12:29:40 AM »

heck no, she has been oregon's worst governor in a very long time

Queue classic Oregon Republican hack, who apparently forgot the last governor (Kitzaber) before Brown, who was pretty decent back in the days, and although I wasn't living in the state at the time, got popped on some sort of nepotism or conflict of interest charges involving his wife, ans basically the Democratic Party of Oregon effectively impeached him, and the speaker of the Oregon House/Senate took over that role....

LOL at Old School Republican trying to impose a partisan agenda on this...
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 12:38:09 AM »

The consistency in the results of Oregon gubernatorial elections is rather amusing. The last 5 (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2016) have all been narrow single-digit Democratic victories; Republicans can consistently come close to taking the governorship but never do quite manage it.

Vosem, as is overwhelmingly common, has basically the correct answer...

Kate hasn't been able to perform very well in small town and rural Oregon, let alone blue-collar cities like Albany, Keizer, Roseburg, and Coos Bay....

It's difficult to see her creating the national type of Democratic majority coalition, if she can't even perform decently in communities in her own state that are somewhat receptive to certain types of Democrats.

Granted this could all well change by 2020, but at this point Wyden or Merklely would like play better on the national stage, considering at least they have both been able to create winning majority statewide coalitions in Oregon that are not disproportionately based upon Portland and the suburbs of Portland....
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »

I understand differing opinions on the minimum wage, but why do you oppose automatic voter registration?

The other stuff sounds good though.

There's no reason to oppose it. It's not like it mandates everyone has to vote.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »

Kate hasn't been able to perform very well in small town and rural Oregon, let alone blue-collar cities like Albany, Keizer, Roseburg, and Coos Bay....

It's difficult to see her creating the national type of Democratic majority coalition, if she can't even perform decently in communities in her own state that are somewhat receptive to certain types of Democrats.

Granted this could all well change by 2020, but at this point Wyden or Merklely would like play better on the national stage, considering at least they have both been able to create winning majority statewide coalitions in Oregon that are not disproportionately based upon Portland and the suburbs of Portland....

She has another cycle to prove she can since she is up in 2018.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »

She has another cycle to prove she can since she is up in 2018.

Good point, although Oregon Gubernatorial races tend to be a bit more traditional "Upstate-downstate" dynamics than US Senate elections with incumbent Dems, and a lot will depend on what deliverables she can bring to the table that frequently feels neglected compared to the "Mega-City" of Portland, as well as resentment against "Salem" (Or basically the Democratic lawmakers that control both the State House/Senate as well as Governorship....

Yeah--- if she can blow it convincingly out of the park in '18, not just in the Portland area and the cities of the Willamette Valley, I could certainly see her getting enough " media buzz" to potentially develop a national profile among the activist base of the party to potentially be a potential contender for the '20 Dem Pres Primary race....

I think in general 2018 will be an interesting test and potential winnowing of the 2020 field, if you look at within the context of a potential down-ballot hit against the Republican brand (Assuming Trump's approval ratings don't start to climb). Then the question will be where, how, and why did various potential Democratic contenders exceed performance among various key Demographics in an off-cycle election.

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 09:30:58 AM »

The U.S wouldn't even vote for a woman President.  Unfortunately, I highly doubt it would vote for a lesbian President.
She's bi and married to a man I thought.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »

shes bisexual though I do see your point
That makes it even worse from an electability point of view.

I suspect folks would feel better about a married same-sex couple than someone who is openly bisexual.  People presumably want stability in their lives and an open bisexual would, to me, strike me as someone lacking the stability of a married person.  They'd view such a person in the way they'd view a devil-may-care heterosexual male bachelor; someone who's unsettled.

That's today, of course, and I'm older than most folks here, so this may not be an issue after all.  We did, after all, just elect Donald Trump, so . . .
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »

From Wikipedia:
"Controversy
Brown has been criticized for her willingness to undermine her colleagues. She was integral in rounding up votes to pass a bill reforming Oregon's Public Employee Retirement System and then voted against the reform bill in order to preserve her own ties to organized labor. Many of her colleagues would go on to lose their seats due to backlash from labor unions.

As Secretary of State, Brown faced further political backlash when she stated she had made a mistake in the scheduling of the election for Labor Commissioner between Democrat Brad Avakian and Republican Bruce Starr. An early election would have favored Starr, but as the election approached, Brown changed her mind and scheduled the election for November helping Avakian to win the race."

These are both pretty shady....
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 12:27:25 PM »

Yeah, I don't think the bisexual thing is a big enough problem for me to turn her down if she is overall a superior candidate to the rest of the field. Her 2018 performance should be a test though--if I were Brown and I had presidential ambitions, I'd start thinking of ways to appeal to rural Oregon.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »

She has a husband so unless she's in a open relationship I don't see how her being bisexual will ever matter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies