Ethnic votes pre-New Deal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:33:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ethnic votes pre-New Deal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ethnic votes pre-New Deal  (Read 1801 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: May 15, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

How did each of these major ethnic groups tend to vote pre-New Deal?

Germans: iirc, overall Republican - even Catholics - though the Catholics voted for Smith and Kennedy afaik, as well as heavily for Wilson in 1912 - or at least in German Catholic Wisconsin areas. They voted Progressive in 1912 and especially in 1924. They swung heavily Republican in 1916, 1920, 1940 and 1944. Especially 1920.
Irish Catholics: strongly Democratic except in 1920 (Wilson alienated them by not pushing for Irish independence in Versailles). Irish Protestants in Canada were strongly Conservatives and Orange Order members, and I'd assume they'd be as strongly Republican as Catholics were Democratic.
Italian: strongly Democratic back then, likely by virtue of Catholicism
Scandinavian: Republican (?) on the whole though Democratic these days. Except Finns (a few in Michigan) who were Communist Party voters. afaik, Scandinavian Protestants were/are far more moderate than German protestants.
French: unusually Republican because of tariffs (a lot of French voters came from Quebec to work in textiles) and conservatism. Democratic in 1928 and after the New Deal. Those in New England are strongly Democratic now, and we know Cajuns. I saw some data on French voters in New England in Quebec City once, forgot most of it.
Czech: Democratic
Polish: Democratic?
I don't know about Russian-Americans, but it'd be interesting to know.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies