Geithner: 14th says govt cant default; Redstate: Time to impeach Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:17:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Geithner: 14th says govt cant default; Redstate: Time to impeach Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Geithner: 14th says govt cant default; Redstate: Time to impeach Obama  (Read 3614 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 30, 2011, 05:14:12 PM »

If Obama were to try and incur debt above the debt ceiling, he should be impeached.  Any such debt would not be authorized by law, which is what the 14th Amendment refers to.

However, if the 14th is interpreted as a supremacy of the public debt clause, then it appears Obama would be obligated to impound funds from other appropriations to pay the interest and principle of the public debt, and in the absence of any guidance from Congress as what gets impounded first, he'd get to choose what gets cut.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »

The Democrats and Obama shouldn't risk it, why make things even more messy than it already is.

Well if the choice is defaulting or rubbing 1/2 of 1/3 of the government the wrong way... you know what my vote is Cheesy

No I don't know.  Why should I know the views of a supposedly brand new poster, even if you have racked up 41 posts on your first day?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies