This Election Is (Probably) Over (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:29:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  This Election Is (Probably) Over (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This Election Is (Probably) Over  (Read 23926 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »

You're overreacting. Saddleback, while not Bob Jones U., was a welcoming environment for a conservative and it was very easy for McCain to give those easy answers. And, maybe, it will bring some social conservatives in Indiana back into the fold, if they happened to be watching. Big whoop, that won't win him an election. Obama's got an equally strong effect, if not stronger, on many people who aren't in that demographic.

So much has yet to happen, including the VPs, the conventions, and the debates. I can't believe I'm even typing this, because these are the words you say when you're behind, and we're not. We're leading by a bit, and the playing field is totally in our favor.

A lot's going to happen. Just because you can see yourself personally sold on McCain--which is what it looks like has happened here--does not mean the rest of the country will agree. I had this experience, too. It was in 2004. It was after one of the debates, when I found to my surprise I genuinely liked and was impressed by John Kerry. Well, that wasn't enough to overcome all the forces pushing against him and in favor of Bush. John McCain turning in a competent performance at one obscure event does not negate everything else, least of all Obama.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2008, 08:52:29 AM by brittain33 »

But I don't think you're really hearing me.  I am not saying the event did Obama in.  I am saying the whole GOP operation (as exhibited at Saddleback, and later at the VFW), will do Obama in.  There is no defeating it, unless (and believe me -- I hope I am missing something) Obama figures something out.

Ok.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I do think this is a problem, and it is one reason I didn't support Obama in the primaries. I didn't think he had the experience to do this. I also agree with you, it is important.

That said, I do not live in fear this year of what the Republicans might say or do as I should have in 2000 and did in 2004. Yes, they can attack. Yes, they own the low ground in appealing to people's baser instincts on certain issues. I am not as concerned for a few reasons. One of them is that John McCain is not the best leader for this machine. He's not a good attack dog; he's only proven himself good at letting surrogates attack, which isn't a bad skill, but it isn't everything. More importantly, unlike George W. Bush, he doesn't inspire many people. I hear you saying that he has found the ability to do so--perhaps I'm misreading or simply insisting on saying what I want to think you said--but I don't think he will ever be loved or cheered like Bush. He can enjoy some grudging respect, and that has value. It doesn't fill stadiums in West Chester, Ohio or The Villages in Florida with five-digit crowds, and it doesn't get volunteers dragging their friends to the polls.

Similarly, Obama can fight both offense and defense in the battle for votes. I don't mean offense in the way you might, in the sense of attacking McCain. He inspires voters and gets them excited. Gore and Kerry, bless their hearts, never did that. They were always on the defensive. At best, they gave Democrats reasons to support them, but they never seduced voters or inspired crowds. I wouldn't write that off. It helped Bush win in 2004.

Finally, I think we are seeing Obama take the gloves off. He is responding right away to attacks, which is something Kerry and Gore never did. I hear you saying that he may not do it in the right voice. I think we're going to have to see what he does at the convention, how he can take it to McCain and attack him. I think it is crucial he define McCain negatively there. He's going to have to do it in his own voice, though, to be convincing. He's going to do it more in sadness than in anger, which always worked for Bush.

I think you're right on this, but...

...not here. Smiley For the simple reason that it's not 00, 02, or 04. People talk about the Mommy Party and the Daddy Party for the Dems and the Republicans. We went through a period of time when we wanted leadership that kicked ass and took names, and didn't get all gay with facts and logic and that crap. I feel that America is sick of it. Yes, we want a strong leader, one who pushes back against attacks and is confident in himself. I don't think that people are voting for the bigger bully any more. I also think that focusing on tactics can obscure how much the fundamentals supported the Republicans in those races. Cleland was running as a Democrat in Georgia in 2002, against Bush's coattails, in a state that was trending hard right for a long time. We were wiped out up and down the ticket in that state. The Cleland=bin Laden comparison was shameful, but the fact of the ad, or its outcome, did not determine the election. Voters just weren't buying what Cleland was selling.

This year, they absolutely are. Obama just has to close the sale. The Republicans have limited ability to stop him, just as the Democrats had limited ability to stop people from lovin' W in 2004 for keeping us safe and kicking butt for America.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »

You're right, liberals are elitists who have no respect for anyone, which is why we always lose elections. Munch munch, mmm, arugula. Can we move on to talking about interesting stuff, now?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:46:39 PM »

This is one powerful group of people in this forum.

I hope I can keep up with you all!

I'm not sure why you came in here with guns a-blazing, really. This isn't the McLaughlin group, by and large.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 08:06:20 AM »

Yeah, he should roll over and play dead here in the echo chamber.

Exactly. Kneel before ZOD!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies