Maine's Question 1 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:35:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine's Question 1 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maine's Question 1  (Read 159228 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »

you thought I wouldn't notice you using my word??
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 05:14:22 PM »

Also, people don't normally like to fight as much for "equal rights" if they already enjoy those rights.  And, of course, a gay man in California can marry and of the same women I can haha Smiley

Although I think a more firebrand name for an organization than "Families Standing Together" could generate more volunteers and funds.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:23:18 PM »

Yes On 1 is copying the Yes On 8 campaign from CA to the letter, except taking the attacks to the next level

the Maine campaign seems to be far less stupid than the No On 8 campaign and thankfully won't have to deal with white liberals' discomfort trying to reach out to minorities
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »

that's still better messaging than ANY ad the No On 8 campaign in CA put out.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:21 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2009, 11:39:12 PM by Lunar »

Lunar didn't enjoy watching Feinstein read a scripted no on 8 message on his TV?

or Samuel Jackon's [difficult to tell it's him first watch of the ad] voice over trying to connect gay marriage to the Armenian genocide so that [presumably] black people will support it?  And this was really late in the campaign too when they realized they had a problem.

or watching 50 times the CA state superintendent giving scary ass dark ads on VH1 about how the other side's ad was lying, which I had never ever seen on that network, not that those ads would be appropriate for that network anyhow

All No On 8 had to do was fine preachers & reverends of all ethnicities, and cut targeted ads of the preachers/reverends/whomever saying they support gay marriage.  We would have won.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »

that's exactly what I just said they should have done in CA
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 11:51:56 AM »

GOD it's SO refreshing to see an anti-ban campaign actually do the right messaging.  The Yes On 1 commercials seem cheesy and condescending compared to the No's.  And, of course, the No's aren't letting the Yes's own words like "marriage" and "family" and "children" -- a smart strategy for the salvageables
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »

another fantastic ad: going after their opponent's strengths

Catholic voters voting on their faith
and they're the ones protecting the institution of marriage
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 01:22:58 PM »

Next they're going to say No is winning pet owners who who make their small dogs wear sweaters
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 08:38:32 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2009, 08:42:58 PM by Lunar »

This is great news, especially the fundraising...they're doing better than Harry Reid in a tiny state.

I fully expect the prop to fail, based upon how well put together the campaign is. 
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »

Maybe the HRC is good for something after all.  The Yes on  8 folks had a natural base of conservative money base in CA before even start looking at Utah...I'm not sure there is such a thing in the small states in the Northeast...and, since the law was passed legislatively, there is less of a procedural argument to make against the gay marriage folks.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 11:46:42 AM »

I like the kissing and hugging in the background.

Interesting ad strategy, they basically want to have people thinking about two gay guys plowing each other when they vote.  Probably the right bigotry-based strategy, but that particular ad seems a bit banal
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 04:37:12 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2009, 04:43:08 AM by Lunar »

dawg, you're part of this campaign, but this one is done, we won Smiley

The No folks are just doing everything right, and the Yes folks don't have their act together.  

hard to believe the gays can win anything held to popular vote, isn't it?  I can imagine that even if the polls showed No winning by a 40 point margin, a number of stalwarts would refuse to believe it, because of how many times they've seen the public be total d-bags
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 03:47:54 PM »

Sometimes it's easiest to guess the nature of my posts by how late at night I post them.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »

PPP sux
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »

I had a feeling that those predicting a narrow victory for the Yes side were too stuck in the old model that says a special election hurts the gays...and not giving enough credit to the large organizational advantage of the No side.

I still have that feeling.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2009, 04:32:28 PM by Lunar »

I had a feeling that those predicting a narrow victory for the Yes side were too stuck in the old model that says a special election hurts the gays...and not giving enough credit to the large organizational advantage of the No side.

I still have that feeling.
I don't think your giving enough credit to the bigots in this country, who, just 20-30 years ago, were trying to vote away the rights of homosexuals.  Unfortunately these people are still around.

A superior campaign in terms of GOTV and messaging is extremely meaningful in a special election.  Look at Virginia, they're going to give a huge victory to McDonnell over Deeds, who are more conservative than McCain and Obama respectively.  You have to give credit where credit is due to campaigns that know what they're doing.

I always argue this, but people who were surprised about Prop 8's success in CA doesn't realize how awful that campaign was run relative to the Yes side, [I did a few hours of work for them indirectly and I knew we would fail on election day].  The ads for the no team have been phenomenal, its messaging consistent and connective emotionally, their targeting great, and more.  The opposite is true for the Yes team.

And, of course, there's less outrage in a very secular state [Maine is one of the few states where more people say religion doesn't play a significant role in their lives] where the legislature, not the courts, legislated gay marriage.

The gays are gonna get their queerburgermarriages I firmly believe, but, as I occasionally point out, I had promised to eat my own hat if McCain did something as ridiculous as choosing Palin as his VP, so I've been wrong before.  Maybe I'm just hopeful.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »

I best not have to delete my posts earlier in this thread
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:47 PM »

It would be really nice if we could get county results here.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/electionresults.html

they have county results right?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »

Btw, there are 100,000 absentees to count later on too.

Considering that the No folks put a huge amount of effort into early voting, this is good news too
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »

Meeker, I hate you and all, but seriously, don't trip, everything will work out.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 10:59:56 PM »

There are a lot of votes to count still people, jeeze
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 11:14:58 PM »

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/128036.html

gonna be a long night folks, time to relax a little
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 11:17:16 PM »

Given the lead at the halfway point, I'd have to guess that "yes" will win if Maine, like most states, has rural and small town votes reporting later in the count.

that's not necessarily true, smaller rural precincts also can count their votes faster as there are less of them.  

also: the No campaign put a huge effort in absentees, of which there are 100k of them.  
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies