I could see the upper south being more D than New England in 20 years (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:43:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  I could see the upper south being more D than New England in 20 years (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I could see the upper south being more D than New England in 20 years  (Read 3905 times)
Tieteobserver
Rookie
Brazil

« on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:44 AM »

MD is already a very democratic state, perhaps at the same level as MA, VT and RI.

VA could possibly go this way. NC is a different story I guess. The democrats are still making inroads there, and its still a very southern state.

As for New England, I see NH and ME going Republican again. These states were very solidly Republican until not so long ago. Vermont also was, but today it became very liberal.

CT is not a bad place for the GOP too. It was Republican until the 1990s, and seems to have some very reliably Republican pockets left.
Tieteobserver
Rookie
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

Unfortunately, the only way I see New England becoming Republican again is by a total change of paradigm. The South would have to become blue again, and the Democrats would have to become the party of the Evangelicals. They would have to somehow adopt a populist discourse in economics, whilst at the same time alienating their coastal supporters. The GOP, in this scenario, would have a very easy time catering to them, with a Libertarian (Classical Liberal) message. Its not the discourse that plays, though. Its the rivalry too. Poor evangelical Southerners would hardly want to vote for the very same party of the Northern elites. Northern rich yuppies, at the same time, don't really want to be mistaken for Southern yokels.

I don't really see this happening though. The GOP has too good of an electorate to get rid of, same for the Dems. If the latter appeal to minorities and to the youth in a country thats increasingly less white and more liberal, the former control have a strong chance of growth within Latinos, besides being in control of the fastest growing areas in the country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies