Gays in the Military? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:38:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gays in the Military? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gays in the Military?  (Read 13805 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: December 18, 2007, 07:19:46 PM »

I recently thought about this.  I had always been against it, but it remained one those list of issues I had never thought about in great detail.  I have changed mind and now support gays in the military.  I think, however, there should be strong penalties if they are found guilty of making sexual advances while on active duty to members of the same sex.  Opinions?

what if you had incontrovertible evidence that a well and recently blown man is a better fighting machine than a repressed, unsatisfied man?  Would you still object to homosexual activity in the military?  if you still do, then I respectfully submit that you seem to be missing the point of sustaining a military.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:53:45 PM »

I recently thought about this.  I had always been against it, but it remained one those list of issues I had never thought about in great detail.  I have changed mind and now support gays in the military.  I think, however, there should be strong penalties if they are found guilty of making sexual advances while on active duty to members of the same sex.  Opinions?

penetrating analysis.

Well, I think you're right.  There's no reason homosexuals should be denied enlistment.  As for fraternization, those rules already exist.  If you're on a ship giving some enlisted bimbette the high, hard one while you're supposed to be on duty, then you're subject to serious jeopardy (although I suspect that the degree of your troubles depends very much on your commanding officer.  some will be more lenient than others.)  I imagine that the same rules could, and should, apply to all fraternization, whether of the homosexual or heterosexual variety.

When you're on shore leave, whoring it up, or on liberty weekend in one of the more festive neighborhoods in Mosul, then fly your rainbow flag up your stiff flagpole as much as you want.  So long as you can sober up, wipe the cum off your face, and seriously follow the oath to protect and defend the Motherland that you recited when you joined, then I don't think your sexual orientation should be any of anyone's concern.

I think if it were all made clear in recruit training, then the myth of "demoralization" would probably go away.  Remember, folks were the same way when women were allowed combat positions.  But the military took a position, explained it, and, except for a few highly-publicized cases which were dealt with effectively and efficiently, there really was no deep and lasting demoralization due to allowing women in combat missions, according to a number of U.S. government reports.  My guess is that a formal policy shift away from Clinton's assinine don't-ask-don't-tell policy--which made conditions worse for gays than they had been before, despite his empty campaign promises back in 1992--could also be implemented without grief or strike, and to the benefit of all.

"In the Navy, you can sail seven seas.
In the Navy, you can put your mind at ease.
In the Navy, common and join your fellow man.
In the Navy, can't you see we need a hand?"

And we do need a hand.  Rejection of otherwise qualified recruits doesn't make moral or logical sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies