WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:54:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: WaPo: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during campaign  (Read 11999 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »

Anyone who cares about the democratic values this country was founded on should see this situation as a critical threat. The fundamental issue is that all free societies must tolerate internal dissent, and party politics, but this makes them vulnerable to manipulation by autocratic powers unless they are willing to draw the line in the sand somewhere. At some point partisan politics must end and the unity and interests of the United States must come first. The U.S. is the world's most powerful country. No one can defeat us, we can only defeat ourselves by division. That is, in fact, the greatest threat to this country. If the precedent is set that loyalty to a foreign power over Americans of the opposite party is acceptable, it will be a mortal blow to the concept of a unified American national interest.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »

The honeymoon lasted less than 24 hours. The Administration is an embarrassment, and we will not be safe from Russian infiltration/blackmail until every member of the Trump Administration is gone.

I am fairly sure that if half of the suspicions about Russia are true, half of the Trump Administration's top staffers and officials will end up (a) squealing on each other (b) fleeing the wreckage of the Administration (c) seeking asylum in Russia.

Good on the Congressional Republicans asking Sessions to recuse out of fear for their political hides.
This has absolutely zero to do with truth and everything to do with politics. Trump's political opponents and their allies in the fake news media have their prewritten impeachment story about 'russia owns Trump, Russia hacked the elections'.

There will be literally zero connection between whether or not this story is true at all and whether or not Trump is impeached on the basis of it. Its all to do with politics

How can you say it's just politics?

There is a clear Russian connection with Trump's team and it has to be investigated. Just because you say it doesn't exist does not make it so. There is evidence to back these allegations; there isn't evidence (yet) to prove their innocence.
There's sweet Fanny Adams to back up these allegations, just a few nothingburgers strung together with an elaborate web of innuendo. This has nothing to do with the Russians and everything to do with Democrats and NeverTrump Republicans getting together and churning out this bullsh**t because they don't like the election result and are looking for a pretext to overturn it.

Okay so what are you basing your belief on, that there is no Russian connection. Your own intuition?
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »

The honeymoon lasted less than 24 hours. The Administration is an embarrassment, and we will not be safe from Russian infiltration/blackmail until every member of the Trump Administration is gone.

I am fairly sure that if half of the suspicions about Russia are true, half of the Trump Administration's top staffers and officials will end up (a) squealing on each other (b) fleeing the wreckage of the Administration (c) seeking asylum in Russia.

Good on the Congressional Republicans asking Sessions to recuse out of fear for their political hides.
This has absolutely zero to do with truth and everything to do with politics. Trump's political opponents and their allies in the fake news media have their prewritten impeachment story about 'russia owns Trump, Russia hacked the elections'.

There will be literally zero connection between whether or not this story is true at all and whether or not Trump is impeached on the basis of it. Its all to do with politics

There is a clear Russian connection with Trump's team and it has to be investigated. Just because you say it doesn't exist does not make it so. There is evidence to back these allegations; there isn't evidence (yet) to prove their innocence.

-What evidence? I didn't see you complaining about the Israeli connection with Romney's team.

I didn't vote for Romney, and Romney didn't become president. Also, I don't remember ever talking to you at all about Romney. So what's your point?

Quit being blind and stop ignoring the information that's out there about Russian ties with the president.

-The evidence Obama created ISIS is way stronger. And what is this information you speak of?
EnglishPete

« Reply #203 on: March 02, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »

Well, we don't want an investigation. We already had an election to settle this matter.

that's the typical BS campaigns are usually spreading.

vote for a candidate = support for everything this candidate stood for.

if hillary would have won the election (she practically has), that wouldn't mean people would approve of her email handling.

No one cares about the emails. They don't matter one bit. People were just using it as an excuse to be angry with a politician who echoed a different worldview.
Exactly, that exactly right. This Russia nonsense is no different.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #204 on: March 02, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »

And I still care about the emails, BTW. Lock Her Up!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #205 on: March 02, 2017, 12:42:47 PM »

Every Democratic All House Judiciary Cmte. Democrats call for "immediate criminal investigation" into AG Sessions' statements before Congress by the FBI

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #206 on: March 02, 2017, 12:43:10 PM »

There's sweet Fanny Adams to back up these allegations, just a few nothingburgers strung together with an elaborate web of innuendo. This has nothing to do with the Russians and everything to do with Democrats and NeverTrump Republicans getting together and churning out this bullsh**t because they don't like the election result and are looking for a pretext to overturn it.

Either Trump's people are hiding something important OR they think that the proper defense to being painted as being involved in a Russian conspiracy is to repeatedly lie to congress and the FBI to obscure any cozy relationships with Russia. Either scenario is bad for our country.
EnglishPete

« Reply #207 on: March 02, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »

Okay so what are you basing your belief on, that there is no Russian connection. Your own intuition?
I'm basing it on the fact that well connected Trump opponents are constantly trying to churn out evidence for this 'connection' in order to protect their political cartel  and all they're able to come up with are these nothingburgers.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #208 on: March 02, 2017, 12:44:14 PM »

I'm just wondering, had Hillary won and then a Russian scandal such as this emerged about her and her campaign and her post-election administration, how would Republicans feel about and how would they react? Because I can tell you, as a Hillary voter, I would be livid, and could no longer support her or her administration.

This is not just normal politics anymore. Just because someone has an R or a D next to their name doesn't make them more or less guilty of any wrongdoing. One side is clearly in the wrong and there is no way to spin it--even trying to is outright dangerous, unpatriotic, and borderline treasonous.

Were this Hillary, the Republicans would have impeached 3/4 of her Cabinet before the word 'I didn't -" escaped her lips. The Republicans are shaking in their boots and being cowards about the Russian connection. It's going to be great fun to see this explode over the next 2 years. At some point, they'll jettison Trump and install Pence to deal with the damage, I think.

There are a TON of issues Trump is vulnerable on and should be fully investigated on. There's the mob (also Russian in flavor), there's his business dealings, there's the Manafort angle, there's the hidden tax returns (which almost assuredly shows some nefarious things), and so on and so on.

you assume far more conviction from the Republicans than I think they have.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #209 on: March 02, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »

I'm just wondering, had Hillary won and then a Russian scandal such as this emerged about her and her campaign and her post-election administration, how would Republicans feel about and how would they react? Because I can tell you, as a Hillary voter, I would be livid, and could no longer support her or her administration.

This is not just normal politics anymore. Just because someone has an R or a D next to their name doesn't make them more or less guilty of any wrongdoing. One side is clearly in the wrong and there is no way to spin it--even trying to is outright dangerous, unpatriotic, and borderline treasonous.

Were this Hillary, the Republicans would have impeached 3/4 of her Cabinet before the word 'I didn't -" escaped her lips. The Republicans are shaking in their boots and being cowards about the Russian connection. It's going to be great fun to see this explode over the next 2 years. At some point, they'll jettison Trump and install Pence to deal with the damage, I think.

There are a TON of issues Trump is vulnerable on and should be fully investigated on. There's the mob (also Russian in flavor), there's his business dealings, there's the Manafort angle, there's the hidden tax returns (which almost assuredly shows some nefarious things), and so on and so on.

I might be but I assume at some point, there will be enough evidence that the GOP will abandon Trump. There is too much smoke to not assume there's a massive fire going on.

They were never his biggest fan when he ran for president and they have a transactional relationship with Trump. Ergo, if the evidence starts piling up and threatening the GOP, they will cut him loose to protect their behinds. They're just as self-interested as Trump is. They probably favor Trump right now because the midterms are all about GOP turnout versus Dem turnout, but if 2020 starts looking dicy because of the Russian stuff and what not, they'll cut Trump loose.

The Trump Team probably hopes for a good economy in 2017-2018 to help wash away these stories and to maintain its hold on the base. What they've accomplished, however, is that they've guaranteed that 45-50% of the country will believe they are illegitimate - especially given how they behaved since the election - and they are going to have to live with this for four to eight years. Their governing capabilities are highly limited and circumscribed given the level of the opposition and their popular vote loss (which was large).

Trump could end the Russian speculation very simply. He could release his tax returns in full and then agree to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee, along with his aides and campaign officials, under oath - closed session if necessary - and if they satisfied the Intelligence Committee, they would get the Democrats to drop the investigation. They won't do this because there's clearly evidence of malfeasance.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »

Every Democratic All House Judiciary Cmte. Democrats call for "immediate criminal investigation" into AG Sessions' statements before Congress by the FBI

I wish they were as quick to do the rest of the people's work. 
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #211 on: March 02, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

I bet Trump and Sessions believe they can just wait this one out. I also find Sessions claim, that he and the ambassador didn't discuss the election, hilarious.

They had an informal meeting at the Republican National Convention, I wonder what they discussed lol.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »

The GOP welterweight politicos like Ryan already got cucked once after the Access Hollywood. Don't make us cuck them again. Trump will be much more dear to the New New Right than Reagan ever was.
EnglishPete

« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »

I might be but I assume at some point, there will be enough evidence that the GOP will abandon Trump. There is too much smoke to not assume there's a massive fire going on.
There is plenty of smoke because a cosy little cabal of well connected Democrats and establishment neverTrumper Republicans have decided to devote their energies to generating smoke from every flimsy little bit of fuel they can find.

As for those wondering why the Democrats and neverTrumpers on this thread seem to be so genuinely outraged in there reaction to this obvious nonsense Scott Adams has the explanation

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/157904840851/dopamine-puppets
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »

Here is a list of members of Congress who have either called on Sessions to recuse himself or resign:

https://mic.com/articles/170118/republicans-democrats-jeff-sessions-resignation-recuse-trump-russia-perjury#.sENtZnmSZ

Though it doesn't seem to be complete, as Amash has also called for recusal:

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/837314635195875330

but isn't mentioned on the list.
yankeesfan
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/02/politics/democrats-sessions-russia-resignation-call/index.html?adkey=bn

The White House is hanging Sessions out to dry.  They say they only learned yesterday, through press reports, that Sessions had contact with the Russian envoy during the campaign.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2017, 01:31:59 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/02/politics/democrats-sessions-russia-resignation-call/index.html?adkey=bn

The White House is hanging Sessions out to dry.  They say they only learned yesterday, through press reports, that Sessions had contact with the Russian envoy during the campaign.

Oops
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »

Oops

"EXTREME VETTING"
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »

CNBC Reporter:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »

Oops

"EXTREME VETTING"

The very best. Trump now throws Sessions under the bus. I doubt Sessions resigns but the more people Trump throws under the bus, the merrier.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »

I don't see a win for them in this, it'll be less damaging to have it finished sooner rather than later. Sure, a second resignation/firing (if it comes to that) will be BAD, but having on ongoing investigation will be WORSE. And a special prosecutor is the stuff of Trump's nightmares.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »

Bahhahhaha

One thing I actually kind of admire about Trump's refusal to take responsibility/look bad is that it leads to him rapidly jettisoning terrible  people who embarrass his administration (see: Flynn, Michael)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »

To be fair, that does seem to lend credence to the idea that he met with Kislyak mainly in his capacity as a US Senator on the Armed Services Committee, and not as a member of the Trump campaign. At the same time, it shows tremendous distrust between members of both groups that neither seem to have known what Sessions was up to with these meetings. Does anybody know if US Senators will bring aides, or maybe a secretary or someone along with them to these meetings? Even if we don't get the content, it seems a bit unnerving that a US Senator can meet with a foreign ambassador at all, and have it seem to vanish completely from the record until a news organization digs it up.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »

I don't see a win for them in this, it'll be less damaging to have it finished sooner rather than later. Sure, a second resignation/firing (if it comes to that) will be BAD, but having on ongoing investigation will be WORSE. And a special prosecutor is the stuff of Trump's nightmares.

I agree, asking for Sessions resignation will be the quickest way to end this. Sure it'll be painful, but it'll be the political equivalent of a bee sting. Quick and painful.

Investigating Sessions, having him recuse himself, and appointing a special prosecutor is the political equivalent of Chinese water torture for the Trump administration.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »

At this rate, the administration will collapse before the year is out.

IT'S STILL ONLY MARCH 2ND
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies