Catholic Appeal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:39:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Catholic Appeal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholic Appeal  (Read 616 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« on: November 27, 2016, 12:18:02 AM »
« edited: November 27, 2016, 12:22:56 AM by King of Kensington »

Or that a) immigration was at one point VASTLY easier than it is today. Not much more than get to Ellis Island or the like and pass a TB test; and b) many of the later "good" European immigrants were also illegals. The anti-Italian slur "Wop" is short for "without papers".

So yeah, iratemoderate, there are a lot of 4th generation descendants of immigrants who supported Trump's mass deportation policies, but wouldn't be here today if such policies were in effect for their ancestors.

The popular image of the quick to assimilate and legal "unlike today" European immigrant is frankly mostly a myth.

Yup.  Italian immigrants took a long time to take out citizenship and a lot never even learned English.

I'm guessing this is pretty much forgotten.  Those descended from the Ellis Island wave are mostly 3rd and 4th generation now.  The 2nd generation is pretty much 80+ and I suspect even they would be of the view that "my parents played by the rules, today's immigrants are jumping the queue."

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies