Is "Latin America" part of the "west"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:07:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Is "Latin America" part of the "west"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is "Latin America" part of the "west"?  (Read 6066 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 28, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »

I would consider it to be part of the west. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, other than for the wholly arbitrary reason of the average skin tone of the people living there.

Well, if they don't consider themselves Westerners, which should count for something. I'm not sure if anyone has asked, but I'm sure the results would be interesting.

Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay are clearly part of the West. All have more in common culturally with Spain or (at least for Argentina and Uruguay) Italy than they have with, say, Bolivia or Peru. With the rest, it varies.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:19:52 AM »

Argentina and Uruguay are white settler societies. If they aren't western, then neither are the United States and Australia. The former at least is far less white, and in all the aforementioned countries, the indigenous are a powerless, marginalized, tiny minority. That's much less the case in most of Latin America. Most of Latin America outside of the Southern Cone has Hispanic Cities and a largely indigenous countryside. To return to the Mexico example some have brought up, Mexico City and the resort cities on the coast are clearly culturally Western, but the rest of the country, not so much.

The fundamental lack of liberalism in Argentinian polity is, indeed, making Russia the closest comparison.

Spain and Portugal were at least as lacking in liberalism until the 1970s, and almost everyone agrees that they are part of the West.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies