If Biden loses where does the Democratic Party go?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 09:11:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If Biden loses where does the Democratic Party go?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: If Biden loses where does the Democratic Party go?  (Read 1373 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2024, 04:25:03 PM »

Nominate Gretchen Whitmer or Josh Shapiro in 2028. After another term of Trump, they would probably win a 2008-style landlide. Democrats would probably be also fine in 2026 then. These are the only silver linings with this stupid moron coming back.

I would not be so sure about a 2008 style landslide . Keep in mind the 2008 election was a tossup on September 14th 2008 despite the fact that Bush’s approvals were in the 20s , we were mired in a very unpopular war in Iraq , economic pessimism was high (though not as high as it would be later in the campaign) , and the democrats nominating a once in a generation talent .

It wasn’t until the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the financial crises happening that turned the 2008 election into a rout . Otherwise it probably is a narrow Obama victory (where Obama gets between 300-320 EV) . My guess is Dems probably would be favored to win but probably semi closely .

Now on the flip side the GOP did nominate McCain in 2008 who was personally pretty popular while today the Republicans don’t really have anyone on their bench who fits that .
A 2nd Trump Presidency would be a complete sh**tshow. Democrats would win big in 2026 & 2028.
If it's a free and fair election.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2024, 04:29:03 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2024, 05:00:20 PM by Agonized-Statism »

Depends on how the culture develops- either there's a revival of the progressive movement or there isn't during the second Trump presidency- but the next candidate would be a much more decisive figure. Either they're an unabashed progressive reformer or a vocally anti-progressive liberal, but they don't really try to walk a tightrope between the two in any case. Either way, they probably win despite alienating some of the base because Trump's movement would be fully out of steam by 2028 (and he would shoot down any would-be demagogues looking to one-up him).

I do expect progressivism to win, but only after making a Faustian bargain where their generous welfare state comes with support for military interventions and cops (the progressive cop-out solution to police brutality being "accountability measures"). Unabashedly neoliberal Democrats will die out alongside the '90s dream of maximum globalization as the world bifurcates with the graduation of the Sino-Russian imperial semiperiphery into a second imperial core, and the currently Trumpian petite bourgeoise will cool down as they gain status from reshoring and start to look more like the old Republicans (more paternalistic, less combative and racist because they're no longer competing with global markets so much).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2024, 06:52:21 PM »

All these posters is Doom on a Trump lead and it's half time 6 months left we got another half to go
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2024, 08:36:13 PM »

Nominate Gretchen Whitmer or Josh Shapiro in 2028. After another term of Trump, they would probably win a 2008-style landlide. Democrats would probably be also fine in 2026 then. These are the only silver linings with this stupid moron coming back.

I would not be so sure about a 2008 style landslide . Keep in mind the 2008 election was a tossup on September 14th 2008 despite the fact that Bush’s approvals were in the 20s , we were mired in a very unpopular war in Iraq , economic pessimism was high (though not as high as it would be later in the campaign) , and the democrats nominating a once in a generation talent .

It wasn’t until the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the financial crises happening that turned the 2008 election into a rout . Otherwise it probably is a narrow Obama victory (where Obama gets between 300-320 EV) . My guess is Dems probably would be favored to win but probably semi closely .

Now on the flip side the GOP did nominate McCain in 2008 who was personally pretty popular while today the Republicans don’t really have anyone on their bench who fits that .
A 2nd Trump Presidency would be a complete sh**tshow. Democrats would win big in 2026 & 2028.
If it's a free and fair election.

Which it likely will be, not for Trump’s lack of trying.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #54 on: Today at 08:54:49 AM »

Whether Biden loses or not is irrelevant, the future is they're going left. Biden's generation are getting old, retiring, and/or dying. Remove that crew and I think you're going to see a much less white, much less old party that's going to give zero time or thought to issues outside of cities.

If you asked me right now, Gavin Newsom has no shot at winning a presidential nomination for the foreseeable future. I've seen enough Democratic voters in elections recently not for President say anonymously to the reporter "I'm not voting for a white man". Throw on top of that Democrats simply don't exist in a lot of rural areas, and it's going to become a much more insular less outward looking party, copying the mannerisms of southern black Democrats effectively.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies