Canada deports Holocaust denier to Germany to be arrested (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:24:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada deports Holocaust denier to Germany to be arrested (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada deports Holocaust denier to Germany to be arrested  (Read 6086 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: March 03, 2005, 05:09:32 PM »
« edited: March 03, 2005, 05:13:15 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

Actually you can go to jail in Canada and Germany for much, much less-- questioning the government on any policy can result in a life sentence.

Hahaha, I think you'd better tell that to Stephen Harper; his job is questioning the government on policies.

It's a national pastime in Canada to bash the Liberals.

Is Canada perfect?  No, but last I checked, America is holding tons of people without trial, access to legal help, or without any sort of options whatsoever, purely because they're suspected of being a threat to national security, which was the exact same reason given for deporting Zundel.  Don't act as if America is perfect.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 05:58:22 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2005, 06:00:13 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

Well they don't use their power to go after trivial criticism. But if you criticize immigration policy, you're probably headed for the slammer.

Obviously, you haven't heard of the recent fiasco with Immigration Minister Judy Sgro.  Her immigration policies were harshly criticized by, well, basically everyone.  None of those people were jailed, and, in fact, they were applauded for helping to expose a really bizarre policy that really needed to be changed.

And, no, tons of American citizens are not being held "without trial." There are terrorists being held, though the number isn't overly high, and the couple that are American citizens have been ordered charged or released by the courts.

For the vast majority of them, no charges whatsoever have been laid.  If you're so sure they're terrorists, why can't you charge any of them with anything?  If there's inadequate evidence, how do you know they're terrorists?

There are indeed US citizens, as well.  Look up the name of Yaser Esam Hamdi, a US citizen who was held for two years as an "enemy combatant".

As I said before, they're being held there because they're allegedly "a threat to national security".  That sounds familiar - it's the same reason given for deporting Zundel.

The US is far, far from perfect, but it's also one of the few countries to take freedom of speech seriously. Canada and Germany sure don't.

The number of people who get arrested who take part in protests against the government in either country is comparable, with usually less Canadians arrested than Americans.

I can go to Parliament right now, stand outside, and scream obscenities at it and I probably wouldn't get arrested.  I'd get looked at weird, but not arrested.

I can do anything I want within my house and the government won't tell me otherwise.

I can write a letter to my editor criticizing anything I want about the government and I won't get arrested for it.

I don't particularly like our hate speech laws, but that's just one segment of speech.  If you want to generalize that to the entire country, be my guest, but you'd be, well, wrong.  Canada has a (1, 1) rating from the Freedom House, which means that it's equivalent on the large scale of things to the United States in terms of both political rights and civil liberties.

For the record, Germany gets a (1, 1) rating too.

You're taking small, isolated events that are, while reprehensible, not in any way representative of the grand scale of things, and then trying to extrapolate these events to the country at large.  It just doesn't work.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »

And Canada certainly wasn't run by Nazis. Their excuse for thought policing is?

I'm not defending Canada's actions in this specific case, only Canada in general.  No, I don't agree with what Canada did in this specific case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies