Canada deports Holocaust denier to Germany to be arrested (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:08:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada deports Holocaust denier to Germany to be arrested (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada deports Holocaust denier to Germany to be arrested  (Read 6084 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: March 02, 2005, 10:46:07 PM »

So, you support denying the Holocaust as being a crime? So, you don't support the right to free speech? Exactly what has this man done to warrant being put in jail? Last time I checked being a bigot and an idiot doesn't warrant that - so what has this man done?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 10:49:33 PM »

In other words, you don't give a rat's ass about free speech, which tells me you are a fascist, and you shouldn't tolerate yourself.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 10:52:15 PM »

They are more fascist than I thought they were, yes.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 11:12:01 PM »

BRTD, the same law that protects you as a far-leftist protects them as far-rightests.

Yup - you know there's someone out there that would just love to lock up every communist supporter. After all, all communist nations have thus far been tyrannical, so it could be taken that support of communism is support of tyranny - we can't have that now can we?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 06:10:25 PM »

Question for you, Old Europe - do you support your government's actions in this case?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 06:56:27 PM »

Question for you, Old Europe - do you support your government's actions in this case?

You mean concerning the Zündel case? Well, would it be gutless to say that I´m rather undecided? Getting him into jail isn´t exactly my top priority. Freeing him neither.

The German laws regarding Nazis are a understandable product of the experiences with the Third Reich. Had the United States started a world war and initiated a major genocide there would probably exist similar laws in the US today. During the Weimar Republic the Nazis had the right to say what they wanted say... in the end they became the largest party in parliament and managed to take over the government. The rest is history.

On the other hand such laws shouldn´t be carried to excess. And it´s debatable wether these regulations have a use at all, considering that the Nazis won´t simply disappear. Instead they go into the underground and do there what they would do anyway. In addition, you have to keep in mind that you could create martyrs by prosecuting Nazis. And last but not least there´s the "freedom of speech" argument.

So, I have really no idea... but AuH2O statements are the usual mix of exaggarations, misconceptions and possibly lies. As the quotes of Edmund Stoiber show, a leading politican is able to complain about too much "racial blending" caused by immigration without getting thrown into jail (or being forced to resign)...

Ok, I was just curious as to your opinion on the matter, and no I don't think you're gutless for holding it. I can easily grasp the 'why' of the law, but I still don't feel it is justified. I think what really needs to be done is for Germany to adopt something along the lines of the U.S. Constitution, something that restricts government power in matters of right and is very difficult to change. That way, even if something like the Nazi party came to any semblance of power, it would still be difficult for them to do anything too extreme. As you pointed out, simply banning it and arresting them isn't gonna make them go away - it may even get them support. The best way to deal with these people is to have a better argument - make it sound better to most people, especially the intelligencia(who would be vital in providing your ideas support) - so that they are never taken seriously.

As an aside, it must be noted that when the government is allowed to curtail free speech for one idea, it is able to do so for any idea - it just needs to be unpopular enough. It's a double edged sword, and I don't think it's worth the risk for the minimal benefits.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 09:11:33 PM »

Before we jump to conclusions, are we sure that the only thing this guy did was deny the holocaust? If it's just that, then it's a bit odd to say the least, but there likely is more to the story.

All signs point to us not having jumped to the wrong conclusion - he is indeed being jailed for simply having denied the holocaust.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 11:09:29 PM »

I am pretty certain that if I went out and denied the holocaust I would not be jailed.

If you did in Germany, you would.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 09:13:39 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2005, 01:23:54 AM by Peter Bell »

I don't fear the government imprisoning me.  Why? Because I give them no reason to be suspicious of me.  The large majority of Americans don't either. They don't have anything to be wooried about.  I must say, you are to afraid of the government (I can't believe I'm saying that to a Democrat).

Just a note - if you lived in a communist or fascist country, they'd have no reason to come after you if you don't give them a reason to be suspicious.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies