Is leftism pro-Islam? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:38:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is leftism pro-Islam? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is leftism pro-Islam?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Is leftism pro-Islam?  (Read 13408 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: June 07, 2005, 11:54:21 PM »

No.  The only reason these christian republicans think so is that many secular liberals view christianity and islam (and religion in general) as essentially the same thing, and equally bad.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 05:35:39 PM »

Uh yeah. I think he's going crazy with his alternate personalities again...

No, Pnkrocket  is exactly correct here.  What he is saying, I believe, is that religion is all about ignorance and closing ones mind - essentially an intellectual lobotomy.  Education is about continually searching for more, not giving up and limiting oneself.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 05:41:23 PM »

So like you closed your remind to religion?

Well, I do enjoy fiction..
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 04:19:35 PM »

Uh yeah. I think he's going crazy with his alternate personalities again...

"Erected for the students that religion and education go hand in hand.  That knowledge accompany character."
  --etched in stone above one of the many chapels at Columbia University

"Pro Ecclesia Dei."
  -etched in stone above one of the many chapels at Haaav'd

and these are two universities with which I'm somewhat familiar, but I'm sure there's something similar at many others.  And it doesn't have to be ivy league.  Mississippi University for Women, a state school, and the first public university for women in the united states, has two chapels.  The Ohio State University, a state school, has several chapels.  Every decent university in the USA, in Europe, and in general, wherever the Western university system exists, knows to whom it owes its existence.  I am neither defending the Church, nor claiming to be among its adherents, but to claim ignorance of the entire history of western civilization and its two most influential institutions (the university and The Church, often the lines between the two are fuzzy) is an insult to the California public school system.  Let me suggest, hopefully, that the poster's ignorance isn't representative of that great school system's graduates.  Ever take a good look at your PhD hood, or your master's gown, or even your bachelor's robe?  It's no coincidence that it looks pretty much like The Reverend Al Sharpton's Choir robe.  They have very closely knit origins, if you'll pardon the pun.  Probably it's just joking, or trolling, but on the off chance that it wasn't, to ignore the profound influence of the christianity on western education is to ignore western education altogether.  end of rant.

The point is that education has occured in spite of its association with christianity.  And as the church has allowed greater and greater levels of education, its influence has dropped.  Simply put, educated people are more likely to be atheists, and ignorant rubes are more likely to do as the church says.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies