Gnostic Christianity (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 01:58:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Gnostic Christianity (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gnostic Christianity  (Read 554 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: June 14, 2021, 09:51:35 PM »

Since Gnostic is a term that has been applied in a number of ways, I can't be certain what the church you are thinking of joining believes. However, historical Gnosticism is largely a repackaging of Neoplatonic nonsense that treats the physical world as bad and an idealized abstract spiritual world as good.

Neither Neoplatonists nor gnostics regarded the spiritual world as abstract; they regarded it as something which, with the right practice, a person could experience directly. In fact, if there's one thing Neoplatonists, gnostics, and Nicene Christians could all agree on, it's that the spiritual world is far more real than the material world.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 04:09:56 PM »

Since Gnostic is a term that has been applied in a number of ways, I can't be certain what the church you are thinking of joining believes. However, historical Gnosticism is largely a repackaging of Neoplatonic nonsense that treats the physical world as bad and an idealized abstract spiritual world as good.

Neither Neoplatonists nor gnostics regarded the spiritual world as abstract; they regarded it as something which, with the right practice, a person could experience directly. In fact, if there's one thing Neoplatonists, gnostics, and Nicene Christians could all agree on, it's that the spiritual world is far more real than the material world.

As you probably have already realized, I am neither a Neoplatonist not a Gnostic. For that matter, I would disagree with your assertion that the Nicene Creed implies that the spiritual world is more real (or more important) than the material world. Equally real and important, but not more real or important. I will grant that many Christian theologians have been infected with Neoplatonic thought.

So how do you handle a passage like Matthew 6:19-20, which, if it hadn’t come from the mouth of Jesus himself, you would surely suspect of Neoplatonic influence?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies