Social Security Vote Delayed Until 2006

<< < (3/5) > >>

Richard:
Quote from: jmfcst on March 02, 2005, 01:49:49 PM

1) raise the retirement age by 6 months per year until the retirement age is 75 years old. (This would only apply to those currently younger than 55)
2) adjust payments based solely on inflation and NOT increases in living standards.

I like this too.

opebo:

Quote from: jmfcst on March 02, 2005, 01:49:49 PM

1) raise the retirement age by 6 months per year until the retirement age is 75 years old. (This would only apply to those currently younger than 55)
2) adjust payments based solely on inflation and NOT increases in living standards.

1) will be incredibly unpopular.  People hate their jobs, they don't want to be stuck there till they die. (male life expectancy is 74.8 years!)

2) will be incredibly unpopular, assuming people aren't so stupid they can't recognize a massive cut.

Moooooo:
They rushed this thing on the American people to fast.  You cannot just wake up one day and tell the American people you are going to change Social Security.  You'll scare the hell out of them and that is effectivley what Bush has done.

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.:
Quote from: nickshepDEM on March 02, 2005, 02:16:58 PM

They rushed this thing on the American people to fast.  You cannot just wake up one day and tell the American people you are going to change Social Security.  You'll scare the hell out of them and that is effectivley what Bush has done.

No, I don't think Bush has scared the majority, but his key support is not going to stand for increased taxes or ballooning the deficit.  Either would create a "crisis" far sooner than Social Security.

I prefer Bush concentrate on Iran and NKorea.  That is the real crisis, IMO.

Dave from Michigan:
I don't think Bush and the republicans did a good enough job explaining what they wanted to do, which confused people.  And all the democrats had to do was under Bush's plan you will lose all your money or will get less, which wrongly scared people, exspecially old people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page