How would the election of 1964 turned out had Goldwater voted for the CRA? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:56:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How would the election of 1964 turned out had Goldwater voted for the CRA? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would the election of 1964 turned out had Goldwater voted for the CRA?  (Read 3445 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:57 AM »

I believe Stevenson supported civil rights in an abstract sense, but he did pick two segregationist running mates, when asked about the issue said "civil rights are not very important," and if I'm remembering correctly implied that he thought Eisenhower was going too far sending the National Guard to integrate schools.
While granted that Stevenson's first running mate John Sparkman was a segregationist, his second running mate Estes Kefauver refused to sign the Southern Manifesto of 1956 (along with Al Gore Sr. and Lyndon Johnson) and voted in favor of the 1957 and 1960 Civil Rights Acts. I do not know how Estes Kefauver would have voted on the 1964 Civil Rights Act had he lived past 1963 though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies