Jeb wants to abolish food stamps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:33:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jeb wants to abolish food stamps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jeb wants to abolish food stamps  (Read 2305 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: January 09, 2016, 09:42:32 AM »
« edited: January 09, 2016, 10:00:19 AM by Torie »

The purpose of block grants is to change an entitlement to a budget line item, which both stops it from expanding in a recession and also, in theory, lets the feds take a big whack at the total without having to deal with the consequences on an individual level because the states can decide who gets cuts.

States won't just recreate the federal policy because a) they'll be getting less money, which will bite when there's a real recession again, and also because b) we've seen with Medicaid expansion that several states in certain regions of the country will take the opportunity to end the program for most recipients ("they don't vote for us anyway") and use the money in some other way.

Yeah, and unduly Balkanized social safety net structures based on state lines are just horrible public policy. Folks start moving around more based on local transfer payment structures. Did I ever tell you that I am not enamored much with states' rights?  Smiley Sure let them be experimental laboratories from time to time where such toe dipping into the waters is a good idea, to test out what works or not, but that is a matter of prudence, not right.

One thing about Jeb that I don't like much, is that he is not a very imaginative man, or one who thinks out of the box much. He's more of a plodder.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies