FCC considering allowing profanity and non-sexual nudity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:52:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  FCC considering allowing profanity and non-sexual nudity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you agree?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: FCC considering allowing profanity and non-sexual nudity  (Read 4852 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »

Very pleased at the results of this poll as a local radio station opened comments on this on Facebook and most comments were against. Perhaps we're finally challenging the absurd sex (and nudity and profanity)/violence double standard.

That said, this site has a higher percent of young, childless people which would make it more supportive of relaxing the policy.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »

The Australian system I found jarring at first, but it works well. The classification system lets viewers know if a program contains coarse language, nudity, sexual references, drug use, etc. If they do that, they have a pretty free reign to show just about everything. Dexter on free to air is a beautiful thing.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »

There should be no restrictions on words in anything anywhere ever. Same goes for body parts.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »

There should be no restrictions on words in anything anywhere ever. Same goes for body parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDPT0Ph5rA
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »

I'm pretty much in agreement with politicallefty and dead0man in this thread.

They should go ahead and stop censoring sexual content while they're at it.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 02:39:09 PM »

Agree, of course. For these reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDPT0Ph5rA
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »

Has the FCC made a decision yet?

If not, when?

I'm not going to count on this happening until it actually happens.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »

Awesome. Smiley
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »

Totally agree. Bleeping minor swear words, even, is really annoying and a little antiquated. The FCC, especially in a digital age, should not feel compelled to protect virgin ears. And I also strongly approve of a ratings system with reasons for ratings - that should be sufficient.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

Totally agree. Bleeping minor swear words, even, is really annoying and a little antiquated. The FCC, especially in a digital age, should not feel compelled to protect virgin ears.

If the stopped bleeping and started using F[inks] Sh[inks] Mother F[inks]er or something like that, I could handle it better.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »

Awww I totally missed that post. Dammit.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »

Totally agree. Bleeping minor swear words, even, is really annoying and a little antiquated. The FCC, especially in a digital age, should not feel compelled to protect virgin ears.

If the stopped bleeping and started using F[inks] Sh[inks] Mother F[inks]er or something like that, I could handle it better.

someone has already thought of it:

https://www.clearplay.com/

Be sure to check out the product comments.  Here are a few choice tidbits:

Love it & use it regularly. Our first movie clearplayed was Pirates of the Caribbean #1 - our 5 children & us loved the fact that we no longer had to listed to the Lord's name taken in vain, & all of the deleted violence.

WE LOVE OUR CLEARPLAY.
IT PROVES THAT MOVIES CAN BE FUN WITHOUT ALL OF THE FILTHY LANGUAGE. EVERY HOME SHOULD HAVE ONE!

I love Clearplay. It's the best way to watch movies.

I lost my remote and the machine will not work without it. How can I get another remote?

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »

Those reviews sound so.. sponsored.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:20 AM »

Lol the top rated movie on that site by users is Smokey and the Bandit.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »

I'm really not sure why people care.  Cable and satellite radio are already beyond the FCC's reach, and who watches broadcast television or listens to terrestrial radio?
Link
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »

I have never watched a TV program and said to my self, this would be enhance by some cursing and nudity.  Most TV is poorly written garbage or reality shows.

I've heard Chris Matthews accidentally curse during prime time and I don't think anything happened.  I don't have a problem with that.  I don't think if there is a slip during a live broadcast the FCC should go nuts.

Honestly though if you want to see cursing and nudity just rent a movie.  And there is tons of nudity on the internet.  Unless you live under a bridge with no wifi who is really hurting for nudity?

Anyway I find that if you are getting laid on a regular basis you are far less fascinated by tits.  You get numb to it.  It's kind of nice.  It frees you up to think about other things.
Link
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »

I'm really not sure why people care.  Cable and satellite radio are already beyond the FCC's reach, and who watches broadcast television or listens to terrestrial radio?

I do.  It's free.  Plenty of news programs to DVR and things like Leno in the evening.  Plus broadcast TV is the closest thing to true HD.  Satellite and cable are over compressed.  It's an insult to my intelligence that a corporation would want me to pay for something that looks worse than what I get over the airwaves for free.
perdedor

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »

Is television not mindless enough? You have an entire universe of tits and vulgarity on the Internet--why is it necessary to introduce those elements to the depraved deluge of police unit abbreviations, trashy talk shows, singing competitions, and perhaps worst of all- the commercials. Television needs to be less stupid and juvenile, not more.

The automatons have been hooked, now the networks are liquidating the intellectual assets of everyone who watches it. The government has a vested interest in promoting an intelligent culture, regardless of what the founders thought about the proper role of government.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 01:45:58 PM »

Ever watch an episode of Criminal Minds?  That's far more disturbing than tits and a few swear words.
perdedor

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »

Ever watch an episode of Criminal Minds?  That's far more disturbing than tits and a few swear words.

Call me an authoritarian, but I don't see how an existing problem of violence on television is solved by correcting a double standard related to nudity and profanity. If you agree that the violence is more of a problem than what we ban, why not regulate it? Is the implication that television writers will not have as much time for violence if we give them sex and vulgarity to work with? Unlikely.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »

Call me an authoritarian, but I don't see how an existing problem of violence on television is solved by correcting a double standard related to nudity and profanity. If you agree that the violence is more of a problem than what we ban, why not regulate it? Is the implication that television writers will not have as much time for violence if we give them sex and vulgarity to work with? Unlikely.

My elusive point was far simpler.....considering the crap that's on TV now, it's no big whup if a few titties and a few of the 7 words you can't say on TV are said.
perdedor

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

My elusive point was far simpler.....considering the crap that's on TV now, it's no big whup if a few titties and a few of the 7 words you can't say on TV are said.

You're right, but would you agree that that speaks a larger volume about the problems with television than it does the merits of relaxing broadcast regulations?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »

You're right, but would you agree that that speaks a larger volume about the problems with television than it does the merits of relaxing broadcast regulations?

I can agree with that.  To me it's just bizarre that Janet Jackson's tit generates a whopper of a fine and some crazed psycho killer raping and slicing apart his victim is legit.  If they're not going to tighten up on the violence then ridding ourselves of some antiquated prude rules won't cause further problems, IMO.
perdedor

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »

I can agree with that.  To me it's just bizarre that Janet Jackson's tit generates a whopper of a fine and some crazed psycho killer raping and slicing apart his victim is legit.  If they're not going to tighten up on the violence then ridding ourselves of some antiquated prude rules won't cause further problems, IMO.

It's most certainly bizarre. I dabbled in screenwriting in an ill fated trip to Los Angeles and I learned one important thing: staging is everything. We accept the vicious rapist and his gory mess on Criminal Minds because the staging is appropriate. Hotch and Morgan pursue him, and he is brought to justice. They introduce you to something disgusting and vanquish it in front of your eyes. Climax is always achieved. Psychologically speaking, you could almost call it therapy. Compare that to a saggy tit making an appearance during the boring part of the Super Bowl and you have your answer. This has nothing to do with television regulations though.

Overall you're correct. We are already operating on he lowest common denominator and this proposal couldn't make it much worse. I'm only suggesting that going in the opposite direction and regulating TV violence would be the most sensible approach. This wreaks of "let's cut money from something unpopular that most people don't entirely understand".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »

As a parent, I'm more concerned about my 2 year old daughter seeing violence than nudity. I'd rather not have her hear profanity though, as she is at the age where she repeats everything. But once she knows what words she shouldn't say, she can start hearing them Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies