What's the matter with Jim Justice? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 09:27:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What's the matter with Jim Justice? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the matter with Jim Justice?  (Read 2324 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »

Your party is in denial. While I agree the while "Didn't vote for Obama and Hillary" thing is anathema to the base, but if your party just became pro-coal, it would pick up a lot of votes in Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, while losing basically no one.

Actually, the Democratic Party has probably lost those voters forever, and if they were to go pro-coal, could easily lose swaths of people who, you know, actually care about the environment. Maybe, just maybe, we're more concerned with combating climate change.

Anyway, Jim Justice was literally a Republican not that long ago, and probably would be more conservative than the average Republican in plenty of states, so I don't see how this is a question.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

Your party is in denial. While I agree the while "Didn't vote for Obama and Hillary" thing is anathema to the base, but if your party just became pro-coal, it would pick up a lot of votes in Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, while losing basically no one.

Actually, the Democratic Party has probably lost those voters forever, and if they were to go pro-coal, could easily lose swaths of people who, you know, actually care about the environment. Maybe, just maybe, we're more concerned with combating climate change.

In this case, the Dems and GOP will have the same position on coal. So unless anti-coal folks are going to stay home or vote Green, they'll vote Dem. Ultimately I think the overwhelming, overwhelming majority will still vote dem.

Why would they start to vote Democratic if the Democrats pandered to them on that one issue? It would be an obvious pander, and many of them also find the Democratic Party too socially liberal. Democrats going pro-coal would definitely result in a net loss for them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies