What do moral values mean to you? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:08:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What do moral values mean to you? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do moral values mean to you?  (Read 23542 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: November 04, 2004, 05:40:36 PM »

There should be more of a consensus between conservatives and liberals on the importance of moral values.

There is one.  From what I can see, the disagreement is over what those moral values are, not whether they should exist.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 08:04:14 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2004, 08:20:06 PM by Gabu »

Weak moral values mean that you consider having a child out of wedlock to be as valid a choice as having a child inside marriage, despite what we know about all the financial and psychological disadvantages that children from single-parent homes suffer.

I personally think that you're being way too general in this assertion.  Simply the fact that someone considers having a child out of wedlock to be as fine as having a child inside marriage means that that person has weaker morals than someone who thinks differently?  I was a child born out of wedlock and I grew up in a single-parent home and I turned out just fine.  You have no idea why the person believes this idea, and context is extremely important.  If someone believes that idea because that person doesn't care about the child, then it could be asserted that that person perhaps has weaker morals than others, but only if that was true.

Morals are, on the whole, extremely subjective.  What is perceived as moral today may have not been perceived as moral 500 years ago and may not be perceived as moral 500 years in the future.  Even today, what you regard as moral may not be what someone else regards as moral at this very instant, and there is no real standard to be used to gauge which one is right or wrong, if anyone really is.  Of course, everyone is going to believe that their version is the correct one, but that doesn't mean anything.

You're right that having no values is a value in itself, and this is the value that many liberals preach.

Huh?

Liberals often preach individual freedom with socialized responsibility, meaning that people can do whatever they want, and pass the consequences of their actions onto society at large.  This has become the bedrock of modern liberal philosophy.  It will never lead to anything but more problems.

Not to my knowledge.  It's true that many liberals, including myself, think that a lot of problems people have in the world are at least partly the fault of society and partly out of the individual's hands, but I've never once advocated the position that that gives the individual a free ride.  I very strongly believe in personal responsibility for one's actions.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

A fine list. Smiley

I would agree on the whole, except for "pride".  It's immoral not to be proud?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 09:32:21 PM »

Moral Values:

-Rationality
-Independence
-Honesty
-Integrity
-Productiveness
-Pride
-Justice

A fine list. Smiley

I would agree on the whole, except for "pride".  It's immoral not to be proud?

I wouldn't think so. Pride is a fine thing to have if you ask me, so long as it is pride that can be justified. Arrogance on the other hand...

I'm not saying that pride is a bad thing; I'm just questioning its being listed as a "moral value".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies