Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 11:44:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best and worst countries on COVID-19 response  (Read 32057 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 26, 2020, 01:42:11 PM »

Best: South Korea, Taiwan
Worst: China, UK, various Global South countries

This isn't the first time I've seen someone make this type of claim....where is it coming from?

Power-worship. This crisis is revealing some ugly things about lots of people's real attitudes towards muh Strong Leadership.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:58:36 PM »

Modi's response definitely ranks among the bottom of countries. But it does seem popular for now. ...and perhaps even if more die of his actions than would have died from covid-19 (latest number I saw was that 29 died from COV-19 and 22 died probably due to the migration). It is truly shocking to see the Trumpification of the Indian electorate (half think its an intentional Chinese plot???).

Interestingly, his equally poorly thought out demonetization plan a few years back was generally panned, I believe because it mostly affected the middle class. Now that he has another hare-brained solution to another real problem, except affecting the migrant poor more, it is praised.

Demonetization was a disaster for low income daily wage laborers and I was convinced it would be a political disaster for Modi.  But instead it was a great political boon for Modi.  The reason, it seems to me, is the image of collective action that Modi asked Indians to support to attack corruption.  The fact that the execution was a disaster and it never achieved the goals was irreverent since the electorate felt that Modi led them on a collective campaign to attack corruption and consolidated around his leadership.  This virus responds of a not well thought out 21 day lockdown seems to be working the same way as it created large amount of economic pain for the poor daily wage belabors but most of them will continue to support Modi.

Something similar is taking place in PRC.  It is clear that the Hubei authorities bungled the initial response and I am certain many will get their just deserts when this is all said and down.  But he PRC mobilization to what seems like a successful defeat of a virus that they themselves bungled in the first place to become out of control will only seem to consolidate the CCP regime.  The CCP image took and beating in Hubei and I am sure that will not change, out outside Hubei the prestige and support for CCP is higher than ever.       

This crisis is revealing some ugly things about lots of people's real attitudes towards muh Strong Leadership.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 01:34:24 AM »

Of the more populous countries, South Korea and Germany have absolutely hit it out of the park. The US & Brazil are the worst of the big countries.

Best smaller countries: New Zealand and Taiwan. Worst: Hungary and Lesotho.

I don't devote a lot of thought to Lesotho (although I know what and where it is). What makes its response so bad?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies