Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:14:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians?  (Read 4591 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:18 AM »

We have Tim Scott. Other than Obama, the only ones the Left really has are Loretta Lynch and Cory Booker. I am not including Ben Carson because I do not consider him a politician.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »

Other than Obama, the only ones the Left really has are Loretta Lynch and Cory Booker.

Are we defining credible as "potentially able to win the Presidency"? Because that's a really high threshold for anyone. If we're talking about sane, elected politicians with substantial accomplishments, the Dems have plenty of others. Just look at the House alone.
I meant "nationally-known and credible". I can't think of a single one in the House that meets this standard. But I don't know much about James Clyburn or the guy that represents Kansas City. I do not count Charles Rangel or Elijah Cummings as "sane", though Cummings is more sane than Rangel by a long shot. I imagine there are some "credible" black Republicans in the House out of a 245-member caucus as well.

Actually, I forgot Jeh Johnson. He is a real pragmatist in an era of insane idealism, in the cabinet position where a guy like that is probably needed the most.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »

There are exactly two black Republicans in the House: Will Hurd and Mia Love.

What's insane about Elijah Cummings? This is an honest question; I don't know much about him.
I'm not much of a Love fan. I've always felt like her message was "I'm black but don't worry, I'm not like those other black people". Will Hurd represents a Hispanic area in Texas on the Rio Grande.

Cummings had some tirades in House committee sessions that made him look pretty bad. I don't know specifics. I'll just admit right now that I follow the Senate a lot more closely than the House. It's just a lot harder to follow 435 people who are up every two years than 100 people who are only up every 6 years, and anything the House passes must make it through the Senate anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies