IDS 1: The Promoting Fairness and Equality in Education Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:52:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS 1: The Promoting Fairness and Equality in Education Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IDS 1: The Promoting Fairness and Equality in Education Act (Debating)  (Read 2885 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: March 19, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »

The large majority of college athletes (at least in the two largest sports) live in poverty as it is. The problem is even worse in the South. You might be adding a small level of fairness (hypothetically accepting an 1000 low-income SAT over an 880 or something, I don't know what our schools' minimums are for athletes), but at what cost? Plus the revenues brought in by those two programs plus baseball in the South more than justify paying for the full cost of attendance (i.e. more than a scholarship) and can usually cover the scholarships of non-revenue athletes while still leaving the school some level of funding.

I'd really urge the legislature to consider that. I say all this not just as a fan of collegiate sports but as someone who cares deeply about education and modestly likes the premise of this bill.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies